Linnets take honours in Norfolk derby
Wroxham 0 King's Lynn 4: King's Lynn ran out victors in this entertaining Norfolk pre-season derby at Trafford Park. Damien Hilton named a strong home line-up while Keith Webb used his full squad which, however, did not include his northern-based players who did not travel.
Wroxham 0 King's Lynn 4
King's Lynn ran out victors in this entertaining Norfolk pre-season derby at Trafford Park.
Damien Hilton named a strong home line-up while Keith Webb used his full squad which, however, did not include his northern-based players who did not travel.
The home side controlled the opening 20 minutes with the pace of the diminutive Gary Gilmore causing Lynn's defence problems on the right. Justin Fox fired over for the Yachtsmen before Michael Frew fixed a drive wide from Lynn's first meaningful attack.
You may also want to watch:
On 22 minutes and totally against the run of play the Linnets took the lead as Joe Francis punished Graham Challen's attempted header back with an exquisite lob from 18 yards. Danny Bloomfield found himself free in space but Andy Keys denied Lynn's front man.
Moments later however, Bloomfield made no mistake as he rounded off a flowing Linnets' attacking move which involved Frew and Stephen Harvey with a cool finish past Robert Woodcock.
- 1 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 2 Man taken to hospital after cardiac arrest at beach
- 3 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 4 More storms ahead as flood warnings remain in place
- 5 Joy and relief as Latitude passes off successfully
- 6 Family demands answers after 91-year-old dies weighing four stone
- 7 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 8 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 9 Cannabis stash worth about £2000 found hidden in home
- 10 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
The Linnets took only three minutes to add to their tally of goals at the beginning of the second spell. Francis' ball into the area found interval substitute Matt Nolan who clinically finished for Lynn's third.
Ten minutes later Nolan turned provider as his low cross from the by-line was met by a stooping Frew at the back post who headed home easily to make it four.
Many substitutions then followed with both managers making wholesale changes which disrupted the flow of the game.
Late on the Yatchmen's Colin Wines sent in a rasping free-kick which beat Lynn 'keeper Scott Howie but rattled against the bar as the home side were denied what would have been a well-deserved consolation.
t Wroxham: Woodcock, Miller, Howes, Hilton, Challen, Key, White, Fox, Gilman, P Atkins, Gilmore. Subs: Furlong, Halliday, Lemmon, Wines, Cook, J Atkins.
t King's Lynn: Howie, West Cussons, Warren, Miller, Fiske, Frew, Harvey, Defty, Bloomfield, Francis. Subs Nolan, Hilton, Turner, Crane, Heath-Preston, Fell, Buhelman, Kelleher, Lake.