Linnets face FA investigation after flares are thrown
- Credit: Ian Burt
King's Lynn Town have been reported to the Football Association after flares were set off by supporters at their recent FA Trophy win at Buxton.
The Linnets recorded an excellent 3-1 victory at the Northern Premier League high-flyers to book a place in the third qualifying round of the national competition.
As a result they are now looking forward to a home tie against Southern League Premier Division rivals St Ives this Saturday – but the build-up to the big game now has a worrying backdrop for the club.
A statement on the club's official webstite read: 'The club has been reported to the FA after two flares were set off before and after our FA Trophy win at Buxton United.
'We now await any action from the FA in respect of the incidents. Whilst everyone at the club appreciates the support we receive thoughtless actions like this will not be tolerated and will only serve to tarnish the club's good name.
You may also want to watch:
'Anyone involved in any such actions in the future could result in being banned from The Walks.'
Meanwhile King's Lynn Town are action this evening when they entertain Thetford Town in the third round of the Norfolk Senior Cup (7.45pm kick-off).
- 1 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 2 Fire crews rush to a crash near Norfolk village
- 3 Police swoop on Norwich address
- 4 Two men in critical condition as multiple people stabbed
- 5 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 6 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 7 Norwich cat torturer who murdered pensioner ‘planned to carry on killing’
- 8 Flight bound for Norwich turns back to Aberdeen
- 9 Swathes of new homes for village move step closer with new planning bid
- 10 Farm worker fined after hay bales fall off trailer and hit car
The Linnets have been in fine form having won their last four matches in a row in all competitions. Manager Gary Setchell has been delighted at his side's return to form and the Lynn chief is likely to give some of his fringe players a run-out, with the FA Trophy tie on Saturday the priority.
However, Lynn could be tempted to give new signing Ryan Hawkins his first start since signing from St Neots last week.
The winger came on in the second half at the weekend during Lynn's 1-0 win over Banbury and set up the winning goal for Toby Hilliard.
Thetford will be looking for a return to winning ways after a run of four consecutive defeats. The Brecklanders enjoyed an excellent start to the season but have struggled lately and manager Danny White will be determined to get one over his former side.
Meanwhile, Lowestoft are also in cup action in the Suffolk Premier Cup as they travel to Thurlow Nunn Premier Division side Felixstowe & Walton (kick-off 7.45pm).