Letchworth Garden City 49, Diss 15
Diss travelled with a young and somewhat changed side, without specialist wing forwards.
As has been the case in recent games, the Diss pack had the edge over the larger Letchworth forwards and for periods of the game were encamped near the opposition line. However Letchworth had a set of fleet-footed backs and were successful in running the ball wide to their wings, with devastating effect. By half-time the home side had run in four tries, three of which were converted, for 26 points. Diss scored a hard worked forward try through debutant Crotty, converted along with a penalty by Beaird.
The second half continued with the dominant Diss forwards grinding out precious gains, only for silly errors to result in much lost ground.
Letchworth increased their lead by 10 points with a converted penalty and another quickly taken penalty, resulting in a touchdown under the posts.
Diss then demonstrated their ability to put training into practice with a 20 metre rolling maul over the line to score their second try. Unfortunately the referee did not allow much of the advantage law and play failed to flow – except when the opposition backs gained possession from Diss mistakes and ran three more unconverted tries in at the corners.
You may also want to watch:
The game was far from as one sided as the score suggested and the young players should take heart from the experienced Tim Groom, who showed great fortitude in the forward line.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Sky broadband issues across Norfolk and Suffolk resolved
- 3 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 4 Drug dealer walks free from court for his 145th offence
- 5 'Is this a wind up?' - Artist's shock as Delia buys 101 of his paintings
- 6 Clean-up operation begins as town 'flooded completely' by heavy rain
- 7 Shocked couple told statue used as doorstop could be worth £1m
- 8 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 9 Watch: Woman left bleeding and bruised after e-scooter crash
- 10 New 20mph speed cameras to tackle NDR rat-runners