Leiston 0, Lowestoft Town 0

Lowestoft Town were pegged back in the race for promotion as the Trawlerboys settled for a point at Leiston this afternoon.

Craig Fleming's men looked the better side for the majority of the contest with Lee Smith having an effort cleared off the line in the first half before Chris Henderson's header struck a post in the second period.

The Blues didn't have it all their own way though with Nathan Stone coming close to notching against his former side whilst Rhys Henry blasted over when well placed.

There was a surprise before kick-off with Jack Defty omitted from the matchday squad, perhaps with an eye on the match against Bury on Easter Monday.

However, it didn't appear to knock Lowestoft out of their rhythm early on and Lee Smith came close to opening the scoring in the fourth minute.

Scott Mitchell headed down Adam Smith's free kick to the former Bury man who, from a tight angle, looked to have opened the scoring until Stuart Boardley hacked clear off the line.

Lowestoft were showing their quality early on although Leiston did their best to disrupt them, Michael Brothers in particular biting into challenges at every opportunity.

Most Read

However, the extra man in midfield in the form of Dan Gleeson saw the Trawlerboys gain a stranglehold on proceedings and Michael Frew was unlucky with an opportunistic effort after he was found by Adam Smith's long throw inside the area. With Joe Jefford at his back, Frew controlled well before swivelling in one movement but his left-footed effort flew over the bar.

Erkan Okay, fresh from his winner against Kingstonian on Monday, was the man charged with getting up in support of lone front man Frew as often as possible and the former Histon man left fly from 25 yards just before the half-hour mark but his effort didn't trouble Leiston goalkeeper Glyn Dixon.

Joe Benjamin was making his presence felt down the left flank and he almost paved the way to the first goal in the 35th minute when he bundled his way past Sheridon Driver but his effort across the face of goal was well cleared by Seb Dunbar with Lee Smith lurking at the back post.

Leiston just couldn't get going as an attacking force in the opening period with their main threat coming through the set-pieces of Boardley. The hosts had to wait until the 37th minute for their first shot of the afternoon when Patrick Brothers' progressive run through the midfield ended with a poor shot which Andrew Plummer watched drift harmlessly wide.

Leiston came within inches of getting their noses in front at the start of the second when Nathan Stone got on the end of Michael Brothers' in-swinging free kick but the striker's header flew just wide.

Michael Brothers then had an excellent effort from all of 30 yards which Plummer could only stand and admire but, fortunately for Lowestoft, it drifted off target.

The Trawlerboys responded and should have gone in front just before the hour mark when Okay headed Lee Smith's centre across the face of goal but Frew nodded just wide from inside the six-yard box under pressure from Driver.

Gleeson then had a long range effort fly just wide before Leiston winger Rhys Henry blasted over from 15 yards after Adam Smith's poor headed clearance.

Lowestoft went chasing the winner late on, bringing on Henderson and Josh Dawkin for Benjamin and Andrew Fisk, and it almost paid dividends in the 79th minute. Lee Smith drifted in a free kick which Henderson glanced towards goal and Dixon stood rooted to the spot as the ball hit rebounded off the post to safety.

• Leiston (4-4-2): Dixon, Driver, Jefford, Boardley, Dunbar, Henry, P Brothers, Wilson (Hammond 67), M Brothers, Osei (Winter 71), Stone. Subs not used: Ottley-Gooch, Heath, Block.

• Lowestoft Town (4-1-4-1): Plummer, Saker, Mitchell, Gaughran, A Smith, Gleeson, L Smith, Fisk (Henderson 69), Okay, Benjamin (Dawkin 77), Frew. Subs not used: Cunningham, Eagle, Ainsley.

• Referee: Euan Goodman

• Attendance: 657