League starts for Fakenham and Thetford, while King’s Lynn Town and Gorleston continue friendlies
- Credit: Ian Burt
The new local football season steps up a gear this weekend with a combination of league fixtures, more friendlies, and a testimonial game.
Robbie Harris begins his second stint as manager of Fakenham Town when they entertain promoted Coggeshall Town this afternoon in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division.
Harris has taken over for a second time, following Wayne Anderson's departure to Dereham Town, where he is assistant to their new boss, Neal Simmons.
Thetford Town enjoyed a revival under Danny White last season, finishing seventh, and will hope to maintain the momentum when they kick off at Stanway, who finished one place and one point above them.
In the First Division, Swaffham Town are at home to Needham Market Reserves while Wisbech St Mary host Woodbridge Town and March Town welcome Holland FC.
You may also want to watch:
In friendly action, The Walks hosts a match between two teams hopeful of league success as King's Lynn Town entertain Thurlow Nunn Premier Division Gorleston (3pm).
Ian Culverhouse begins a campaign as manager for the first time and the Linnets will be fancied to go well in the Evo-Stik Southern League Premier. Gorleston were fourth last season after challenging for much of the campaign.
- 1 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 2 Pretty thatched cafe business on Broads for sale for £75,000
- 3 Anger as woodland used as 'playground and dustbin'
- 4 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 5 Giant Victorian underground reservoir marks supplying city for 150 years
- 6 Report into woman's murder by jealous ex: 'Employers must do more'
- 7 'We're all shocked' - Butchers shop attacked by vandals
- 8 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 9 Homes plan to be revealed for former infant school
- 10 Shock as cannabis factory found in quiet Broads' village
Norwich United have a friendly at Felixstowe & Walton United ahead of their Bostik League Division One North season.
Neighbours and league rivals Dereham Town play tomorrow – in a testimonial for Matty Henman, who stood down as boss at the end of last season after nine years at the helm. The game between a Dereham Town XI and Dereham Town 2012-13 – the season Henman guided the club to promotion from the Thurlow Nunn League – starts at 1pm with free admission.
'The match is in recognition for Matt's long service to Dereham Town FC and his work around the community,' said a statement on the club's website. 'The Dereham Town XI will be made up of players that Matt has played with and coached over the years while Dereham Town 12/13 will be made up of the Thurlow Nunn winning team.'