Leaders thwarted by late equaliser

MEN'S EAST LEAGUE: Dereham's lead at the top of the Premier B table was cut to four points on Saturday as they conceded a last-minute goal to draw 3-3 with City of Peterborough II.

It was the visitors who broke the deadlock in the first half following a mistake by keeper Tom Vaughan.

Dereham equalised when Mark Timm drilled a shot across the D and Chris Vernon tapped the ball in at the back post. Peterborough then scored a soft goal to regain the lead but Dereham refused to panic and got their reward through a well-worked short corner, with Mark Hunter on hand to lift the ball over the keeper.

Dereham pushed for a winner, and thought they had one when Ed Turner produced a magical turn which dumbfounded two Peterborough defenders before finding a finish to match. The hosts had their chances to make the game safe but these were not taken and with a minute to go Peterborough won a free-hit just outside the D and after a melee, the ball was flicked into the back of the net.

Norwich City laboured to a 2-1 victory against a spirited Long Sutton side to move closer to the leaders.

In the first half Wardle was unlucky to see a goal disallowed after a slight infringement while Sibson, Horn and Elliott were all denied by good saves and Perry was thwarted by the woodwork.

The first goal came with 25 minutes left to play when Perry's shot from a short corner again cannoned off a post and Elliott was on hand to smash home the rebound.

Most Read

Seven minutes later Norwich extended their lead when Sibson's sublime pass found Morgan, who converted from close range.

The hosts then lost their way and Long Sutton pulled one back with seven minutes to play but they were unable to complete the comeback.

Meanwhile, Harleston Magpies II had an afternoon to remember as they returned from Cambridge Nomads with a 4-0 success.

Norwich City II extended their winning streak in Division 2NE to three matches when they won 4-2 at Cambridge City III.

City found themselves 2-1 down at the break, despite taking the lead when Ralph Jackman won a short corner which Matt Brine converted

City knew they were the better team and proved it in the second half with Chris Key quickly thundering home and Clive Crichton putting the visitors ahead before an own goal completed the scoring.

Norwich Dragons beat Cambridge University III 2-1 in a mid-table encounter. They took the lead after winning their first penalty corner which Snelling flicked home. The students equalised after the break with a deflected shot and pushed forward looking for the winner. However, Dragons were able to win a penalty corner which Snelling dragged past the keeper to complete the scoring.

Norwich City III were beaten 2-1 by leaders Lowestoft Railway in Division 4NE (Guy Marchant) while at the top of Division 5NE City IV drew 1-1 at Watton, with Sam Sharples' shot somehow squeezing in.

City V won 6-0 at Ipswich Cranes in the same section (Kidner 2, Ingham, Brighton, Patel, Colman) while Norwich Dragons III drew 3-3 with UEA IV (Mike Banham 2, Will Kirby).