Latest hockey reports from the Norfolk Women’s League

Panthers carried their excellent form from 2011 into the new year as they stayed top of the Premier Division with a 5-1 win at Harleston Magpies IV.

Zoe Gotts gave Panthers the lead with a reverse stick finish after being set up by Tracy Toyn. The second goal proved to be the best of the game as Georgina Stannett collected the ball on the halfway line and produced a solo run and finish.

Two further first half strikes from leading scorer Gemma Rolph put Panthers firmly in charge.

Magpies improved after the break and pulled a goal back when Sarah Legg fired home following a short corner. But the hosts suffered a blow when Hannah Booty was sin-binned for a high stick and Gail Rudd converted the resulting penalty flick.

Third-placed Norwich City II picked up a 4-3 win at home to Pelicans II.

Pelicans went ahead before Ellie Brine equalised for City and then Anna Horsely's sweet strike gave the hosts a half-time lead.

The visitors soon equalised in the second half, before Phoebe Welsh restored City's advantage. Pelicans again responded and pulled level from a penalty corner, before Brine finally settled the game with City's fourth.

Most Read

Thetford had only nine players for the trip to Watton, but fought bravely in a 2-1 defeat.

Watton took the lead from a short corner, but in the second half Karen Hodgkinson drove into the D and netted an equaliser. With five minutes remaining, Watton converted a second short corner to take the points.

In Division One, Norwich City III took over at the top following a 9-0 mauling of Pelicans III. City led 4-0 at half-time with two goals from Jess Harris, while Amber Sayers and Nikki Legrys were also on target.

Harris notched four more in the second half and Chris Fraser also scored as City ran riot.

Previous leaders Diss were held to a 1-1 draw at Reepham.

The hosts controlled the early stages but it was Diss who took the lead against the run of play when Emily Pursehouse tucked away Toni Glover's cross.

Reepham equalised when Ellie Rivett's shot was saved, but Katie Lake snapped up the rebound.

Broadland II won their second successive league game, beating North Walsham II 3-0.

Holley Becker squeezed the ball in to open the scoring and Carolyn Duthie increased the advantage following Becky Savoury's cross. Duthie then wrapped up the scoring, again latching on to a fine centre from Savoury.

Julie Metcalf scored twice as Sprowston II beat UEA II 3-1.

Metcalf's first half opener was cancelled out by the students from a penalty soon after the break.

Metcalf restored the lead with a reverse stick shot and Liz Hollis then converted a pass from Tamsin Butcher to complete the scoring.

A three-goal burst at the start of the second half condemned Norwich Dragons III to a 3-1 defeat at home to Dereham IV.

After a goalless first half, Dereham quickly put the game out of reach after the break, with Caroline Wolfe pulling one back for Dragons from a short corner.

Third-placed Harleston Magpies V recorded a 3-1 victory at Yarmouth II.

After going behind early on, Magpies hit back with Saffron Wilford's equaliser from a penalty corner. Wilford added a second in the second half before Kara Kilbourn rounded off the scoring following a cross from Sophie Long.

In Division Two, Norwich City VI won 2-0 against the club's fourth team.

Lindsey Barnes swept the ball past the keeper to give the sixth team the advantage before Annabelle Conway added the second.

City's fifth team stayed third with a 4-2 triumph at home to Harleston Magpies VI.

Carol McNarry drove in City's opener before Magpies brought the scores level. Julia Marchant restored City's lead before half-time and in the second half Emily Greenway made it 3-1.

Magpies threatened a comeback with a second goal, but Olivia Greenway's strike killed off their resistance.