Late despair again for Yachtsmen
Wroxham suffered injury time heartbreak as David Knight's last-gasp header secured all three points for Thurrock at Ship Lane.
Thurrock controlled possession in the opening stages but it was the Yachtsmen who took the lead after 15 minutes, Aaron Sanders being tripped in the box to give Joe Marsden the chance from the spot, the right back coolly sending Andy Walker the wrong way for his ninth penalty of the season. Wroxham seemed happy to play on the counter attack as the home side searched for a way back into the game, Ross Durrant's 33rd minute corner forcing Walker to tip the ball from under his own bar. As the game edged towards half-time, it was the home side who were finishing the stronger, Lewis Spence and Ross Wall both producing air shots when well placed.
The Fleet carried on their urgency as the second half began, Knight hitting the post and Ross Wall heading wide when well placed, before Spence atoned for his earlier miss to level matters on the hour with a near post header from Lewis Perkins' corner.
Gordon and Matt Halliday cleared two efforts off the line as Thurrock pushed for a winner, before Knight produced late heroics for the second time this season against Wroxham, his stooping header at the back post from Spence's lofted ball in snatching the points for his side in stoppage time.
The Yachtsmen will have to bounce back quickly as they travel to AFC Sudbury – who are currently on a 14 game unbeaten run - tonight as they come up against former boss David Batch.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 2 Stunning images capture Cromer in the snow
- 3 'Anti-social rider' has quadbike seized in the snow
- 4 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 5 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 6 Jailed in Norfolk: Burglars, domestic abuse and threats to kill
- 7 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 8 Government must step in to help 'desperate' Norwich hospital, says MP
- 9 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 10 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court