Last wicket pair rescue Swardeston

Gibbs Denley East Anglian Premier League: Swardeston's last wicket pair survived a nervous finale to clinch a one-wicket win over Norwich which saw Mark Thomas' side climb to the top of the table.

Chasing Norwich's 166 all out, Swardeston were immediately put on the back foot as Norwich skipper Paul Wiseman claimed the wickets of Daniel Martin and Peter Lambert with his second and third deliveries.

Wiseman followed that up with the crucial wicket of Jaden Hatwell and although Joel Abraham (55) and Ian Tufts (29) added 62 for the fourth wicket, Swardeston were back in trouble when George Walker became the seventh wicket to fall with the score on 119.

Jordan Taylor and Thomas then steered Swardeston to within 10 runs of victory with an eighth wicket stand of 38, but Wiseman was not finished yet and he returned to complete his five-wicket haul with the scalps of Thomas (24) and Jonathan Cooper.

Michael Eccles (8no) joined Taylor (16no) and after a nervy 20 minutes and six overs, Eccles drove to mid-off for the two runs which secured victory.

Earlier, Norwich had needed a last wicket stand of their own to boost their total as Wiseman and Ben Flanagan both hit 22 in a partnership of 47.

Harry Bush had top scored with 41, while Walker took four for 38 and Thomas returned figures of three for 37.

Most Read

Morning leaders Horsford are still searching for their first win away from Manor Park after suffering a heavy 148-run defeat to Vauxhall Mallards at Brundall.

Mallards opted to bat first and looked to be heading for a low total as Horsford's spin trio of Chris Brown, Ryan Findlay and Reece O'Connell reduced them to 132 for five.

A sixth wicket stand of 91 between Ali Shearer (76) and Simon Potger (59) proved decisive in the match and allowed Mallards to declare on 263 for nine in the 64th over.

Brown, O'Connell and Findlay claimed three wickets each.

After a solid start from openers Nathan Perry-Warnes and Matthew Warnes, Horsford capitulated from 32 without loss to 68 for five. Chris Spenceley offered some resistance with 34, before he became one of three victims for Gerrie Snyman and soon afterwards Horsford were dismissed for 115 in the 43rd over.

Another century from Great Witchingham opener Carl Rogers could not secure victory against Burwell at Walcis Park as the hosts eventually had to hold on for a draw.

Burwell chose to bat first and, after a shaky start, their batsmen flourished, with Paul Summerskill making an unbeaten 87 and Glenn Goosen adding exactly 100. They closed on 276 for four, with Ryan McCone (one for 67) and Andrew Dyer (one for 47) the only bowlers to taste success as two of the wickets came courtesy of run outs.

Rogers was soon setting about compiling his third league century of the summer, taking his tally in the league past the 700 runs mark, but after the dismissals of James Spelman (28) and Sam Arthurton (32), he received little support from the middle order.

His innings was eventually ended on 124 from 170 balls and last wicket duo James Hale and Sam Groves bravely defied the Burwell attack to secure a draw, with Witchingham finishing on 238 for nine.

Elsewhere, Cambridge Granta were indebted to two outstanding performances in their 131-run win against Saffron Walden, as Alex Fullarton hit 130 and Jason Coleman bagged seven for 38.

Clacton finished 11 runs short of victory against Sudbury with eight wickets down as the match finished in a draw.

Halstead continued to rise up the table as they beat Bury St Edmunds by 40 runs.