Last season’s Senior Cup finalists to meet in third round
- Credit: Archant
One of the big guns in the Norfolk Senior Cup is certain to go out at the third round stage after the draw saw Dereham Town and Norwich United paired together.
The Ryman League Division One North rivals will go head to head at Aldiss Park next month in a repeat of last season's final, which saw the Magpies win 2-0 at Carrow Road.
The teams have already met once this season in the league, with the match at Dereham ending in a 1-1 draw, but honours won't be shared this time, with the tie going to extra-time and penalties if necessary.
The other Ryman League side in the last 16, Wroxham, were handed a home tie against Anglian Combination Division One outfit Hellesdon while the fourth side to enter the competition at this stage, King's Lynn Reserves, were handed a trip to Thetford Town, currently sixth in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division table.
Second round giantkillers Harleston Town and Attleborough Town were both rewarded with home ties in the last 16 – and against fellow Combination sides as well.
You may also want to watch:
Harleston, who scored two late goals to beat Great Yarmouth Town 2-1 last Saturday, have been paired with Mulbarton Wanderers while Attleborough, who saw off Swaffham Town on penalties at Shoemakers Lane after a 3-3 draw, take on Norwich CEYMS.
Boro, who were playing in the Norfolk Junior Cup last season, are the lowest ranked team left in the competition, having yet to win a league game in six attempts since their promotion from Division Two.
- 1 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 2 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 3 Nine Norfolk flood alerts ahead of Storm Christoph
- 4 Man who died in west Norfolk crash named
- 5 Man who drove 128 miles for fish and chips among latest Covid fines
- 6 Builder took pink pill and ran naked around hotel
- 7 Going full term during this coronavirus pandemic fills me with absolute terror
- 8 Delivery van towed from deep water on road closed due to flood risk
- 9 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 10 Carer caught on CCTV letting dog scratch vulnerable pensioner
With another tie seeing Long Stratton host Stalham Town the Combination will be represented by at least three clubs when the draw for the quarter-finals is made next month.
There is one all Thurlow Nunn League clash, with Diss Town entertaining Division One rivals Downham Town, while in the other tie Fakenham Town face a potential banana skin against reigning Combination Premier Division champions Acle United.
Draw: Wroxham v Hellesdon, Diss Town v Downham Town, Fakenham Town v Acle Utd, Attleborough Town v Norwich CEYMS, Thetford Town v King's Lynn Town Res, Harleston Town v Mulbarton Wanderers, Long Stratton v Stalham Town, Dereham Town v Norwich Utd.
Games are scheduled for Saturday, November 19 but some will be played in midweek.