Last minute goal stuns leaders Lowestoft

Jonathan RedheadLowestoft Town 1, Brentwood 2: Lowestoft Town fell victim to the ultimate sucker punch at Crown Meadow last night to suffer their third home defeat of the season.Jonathan Redhead

Lowestoft Town 1, Brentwood 2

Lowestoft Town fell victim to the ultimate sucker punch at Crown Meadow last night to suffer their third home defeat of the season.

A wonder strike from Brentwood sub Kris Lee in the 90th minute handed the visitors all three points in a game totally dominated by the Blues, who still top Ryman League Division One North by two points after nearest rivals Concord lost 3-2 at Romford.

Lee picked up the ball 30 yards from goal and smashed a superb volley beyond Andy Reynolds in a rare foray into the Town half. It was a stunning blow to the home side who had squandered numerous chances to win the game after recovering from going a goal down early on.

They were shocked in the third minute when Ben Boyce found the top corner from over 30 yards after a corner. The same player went close to a second minutes later, when Reynolds tipped his drive from the edge of the box over the bar. However, the home side equalised on 11 minutes and it was virtually one-way traffic from then on.

Joe Francis won a free-kick near the left corner flag and from Jamie Godbold's delivery the ball came off Danny Bloomfield and a visiting defender before trickling in. Godbold took the applause of the crowd although the last touch looked to have come off Brentwood's Nathan Fletcher.

Most Read

Andrew Fisk almost completed the quick turn around half-way through the first half, but his neat flick beyond keeper Ben Stone came out off the inside of a post. Fisk was involved on 27 minutes as a neat one-two with Matt Nolan saw the latter's chip beat the keeper but drift just wide. And Nolan went close a minute later when his volley from 30 yards dipped just over.

The Blues hit the woodwork again in the 52nd minute. Nolan released Francis beautifully, but from a dozen yards out his low left-foot effort clipped the outside of a post.

Bloomfield was replaced by Gary McGee on the hour and the substitute's first touch almost handed Lowestoft the lead - but Stone made a brave save. He made an even better save with 13 minutes remaining as Gary Holt, on his 37th birthday, got his head on to sub Scott Mitchell's cross, but Stone dived to brilliantly paw away.

The home side piled on the pressure in the final minutes but just couldn't get the decisive touch - allowing Brentwood to have the final say.

Lowestoft: Reynolds, Poppy, Potter, Crane (for Plaskett 65), Halliday, Godbold (for Mitchell 67), Fisk, Holt, Francis, Bloomfield (for McGee 60), Nolan. Subs: Bussens, Forshaw.

Attendance: 542