Large holds off Cone for Oulton Broad victory
There were very light winds on Saturday and blustery, wet conditions on Sunday and this discouraged many sailors from competing at Oulton Broad at the weekend.
However, the six boats that entered Sunday's Laser Open Meeting enjoyed close and exciting racing.
James Large led from start to finish in race 1, with Alan Cone second and Simon Beckett third.
The next race saw Large again ahead at the first mark but, in the gusty and shifty breeze, the rest of the fleet overhauled him on the run and although he fought his way back to second place, he could not catch Cone who took the win.
This meant that Large and Cone had equal points coming in to the final race.
You may also want to watch:
On the short first beat Large took a narrow lead while Cone had to do penalty turns after a 'port and starboard' incident with another boat.
Despite his best efforts Cone was unable to catch Large and so the final result was that Large was the overall winner with Cone second and Beckett third.
- 1 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 2 Jack-knifed lorry shuts A148 as police issue ice warning
- 3 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 4 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 5 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 6 Map reveals the most serious crashes on the NDR since it fully opened
- 7 The secrets and scandals of a former Norwich hotel
- 8 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 9 It's 'a long, long way' until lockdown restrictions are lifted - Hancock
- 10 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich