Large holds off Cone for Oulton Broad victory
There were very light winds on Saturday and blustery, wet conditions on Sunday and this discouraged many sailors from competing at Oulton Broad at the weekend.
However, the six boats that entered Sunday's Laser Open Meeting enjoyed close and exciting racing.
James Large led from start to finish in race 1, with Alan Cone second and Simon Beckett third.
The next race saw Large again ahead at the first mark but, in the gusty and shifty breeze, the rest of the fleet overhauled him on the run and although he fought his way back to second place, he could not catch Cone who took the win.
This meant that Large and Cone had equal points coming in to the final race.
On the short first beat Large took a narrow lead while Cone had to do penalty turns after a 'port and starboard' incident with another boat.
Despite his best efforts Cone was unable to catch Large and so the final result was that Large was the overall winner with Cone second and Beckett third.
- 1 Row erupts after dozens of trees aligning footpath chopped down
- 2 Hermes courier and his wife could be jailed over ‘stolen parcels’
- 3 Obituary: Tributes after 'heart-shaped hole' is left following teaching assistant's death
- 4 How Norfolk's current Covid figures compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 5 Winter Wonderland coming to park with ice slide, donkeys and reindeer
- 6 Christmas lights switch-on cancelled due to forecasted high winds
- 7 Panoramic views for every customer after award-winning restaurant's refurb
- 8 Freezing cold temperatures could see snow in parts of Norfolk this weekend
- 9 Norfolk boxer fined for exercising in Chapelfield Gardens during lockdown
- 10 Primary pupil sexually assaulted on way to school