Lambert to take centre stage as a reward for decade of loyal service
King's Lynn hosts its first meeting of the season this weekend when a big crowd is expected for Simon Lambert's testimonial meeting.
The testimonial – which has been a year in the planning – has been awarded by the sport's authorities for Lambert's 10 years' service as a King's Lynn club asset.
Headlining Sunday's meeting is the appearance of British champion Danny King, who will be bringing along his Championship trophy for supporters to take photos from 12.30pm to 1.15pm.
Joining him on track will be the five-time reigning Danish champion Niels Kristian Iversen, reigning Australian champion Sam Masters, former national champions Brady Kurtz (Australia) and Ricky Wells (USA), former and current team-mates plus rider friends to complete a cosmopolitan line-up.
Lambert himself will be taking part on track, too, although the demands on his time off track during the day means the focus of the meeting will be rather different to normal.
You may also want to watch:
In addition, there are support races featuring four rising young stars, with their eyes on emulating the senior stars one day.
Testimonial organisers have also lined up some special guests, including former Stars' captain Tomas Topinka, an early mentor to Lambert.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 3 Sky broadband issues across Norfolk and Suffolk resolved
- 4 Drug dealer walks free from court for his 145th offence
- 5 Shocked couple told statue used as doorstop could be worth £1m
- 6 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 7 'Is this a wind up?' - Artist's shock as Delia buys 101 of his paintings
- 8 Clean-up operation begins as town 'flooded completely' by heavy rain
- 9 Watch: Woman left bleeding and bruised after e-scooter crash
- 10 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
Topinka will travel from his native Czech Republic and join an illustrious and historic trio at Saddlebow Road on Sunday.
Topinka is second in the Stars' all time appearances list – and joining the party to make it a one, two, three will be number three on the list, Ian Turner, and the number one, Terry Betts.
'I am absolutely thrilled to have them join me for my testimonial,' said Lambert. 'They are all absolute legends.
'Terry's and Ian's reputations go before them and Tomas played such a key part in my early career.'
Following the action on track, there will be an auction of the riders' race jackets and other items in the stadium's main bar area. Admission prices for the testimonial have been geared towards a family day out – adults £16, concessions £13, 12-18s £6 and under 12s free. Racing begins at 2pm, with gates open at noon.