Lakenham leave it late to seal title
Lakenham-Hewett Ladies were crowned champions of RFUW Championship Midlands 2 after a 27-0 win over Stoneygate at Hilltops.
The Norfolk team were sitting second in the table behind Nottingham BC with their final match to play and needed a five try bonus point win to take the title.
A drop off pass from fly-half Chrissy Lawrence to bustling inside centre Kate Hodgkinson saw her power through two defenders to touch down for Lakenham's first try. Hodgkinson added the extras.
No 8 Angela Wadham ran in for Lakenham's second try of the game to make it 12-0 at the break.
Chloe Baker opened the second half scoring after a great pass from wing Gemma Nicholls and with 12 minutes left to get two tries elusive runner Ellie Varney put Lakenham four tries up. It was then left to Wadham, Lakenham's top try scorer, to stretch for the line to touch down for that all important fifth try just as the clock reached the final minute. All that was required was for Lakenham to collect the restart and as Lawrence kicked the ball to touch the cheers rang out around Hilltops and the celebrations began.
You may also want to watch:
Lakenham have little time to enjoy their victory as the reality of promotion play-offs looms large and with many players retiring they must begin to rebuild their squad ready for the battles ahead.
Captain Chloe Travis summed up the team's success, saying: 'It's great to get the win and finish top. We've worked really hard this year to improve our attack and finishing as the league's top points scorers and with the league's top kicker shows just how far we've come. To compete we need to build a strong confident squad and would welcome anyone who wanted to join us.'
- 1 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 2 A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 3 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
- 4 'I've lost my pension': Car collection destroyed by 'professional' vandal
- 5 Road through village closed by floodwater
- 6 Nurse's 'heartbreak' over hospital care as her father dies on Covid ward
- 7 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 8 Councillor 'incandescent' over second-home owners breaking Covid rules
- 9 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 10 Armed police detain man after 18 hours of negotiations