Kyla Love strikes to secure a share of the spoils for Norwich City Ladies in East Anglian derby
- Credit: Archant
Sunday's first local Derby match for the season, between Norwich City Ladies and Ipswich Town Ladies was a feisty affair, on a bright day at Plantation Park.
The game was barely underway with just two minutes played, when Mollie Clement struck the back of the Norwich net, beating debutant keeper Laura Hartley signalling game on between these local rivals.
This was the catalyst the game needed, as Norwich immediately went on the offensive taking the game to the visitors and after a series of attacks and counterattacks, it was Norwich who found the Ipswich net, when Kyla Love calmly slotted the ball past Leanne Smith, the Ipswich keeper.
Norwich, buoyed by the goal, mounted an assault on the Ipswich goal, with Chelsea Garrett adjudged offside and her finish disallowed on 39 minutes, followed by Kyla Love's cross goal attempt which went agonisingly wide of the far post.
During the second half both teams had spells of possession and demonstrated purpose and intent and chances fell to both sides.
You may also want to watch:
However, the best chances fell to Norwich, resulting in a clearance off the Ipswich goal line when Natasha Snelling beat the Ipswich keeper and a Paige Shorten free kick was parried by the Ipswich keeper and frantically cleared before incoming Norwich players could reach the ball.
With 90 minutes played and an added six of extra time the game remained deadlocked, with a 1-1 score line.
- 1 Eight vehicles involved in Acle Straight crash
- 2 'Unbelievably shocked': Norfolk garage team named best in country
- 3 Woman's hip broken after 'rugby tackle' by pair of dogs
- 4 Superstar acts that are coming to Norfolk next year
- 5 Have you had 'the worst cold ever' which is currently ripping through Norfolk?
- 6 How to get from Norwich to London for just a fiver
- 7 Shoe shop set to close after more than two decades in business
- 8 'We did everything we could': Police officer tells of car park negotiation
- 9 Huge equestrian home set in 9 acres is for sale for £1.4m
- 10 Man taken to hospital after road rage incident
With a point secured Norwich move to 11th in the table and now look forward to their next home fixture against Denham, on Sunday, April 2.