Ely City 2 Kirkley & Pakefield 1: Royals suffer rare league defeat on miserable afternoon
- Credit: Archant
Kirkley and Pakefield lost in the league for only the fourth time this season in a match that was played in atrocious conditions.
With heavy rain and a strong wind making life difficult for both teams the Royals went in at the break on level terms but conceded again early in the second half and were unable to equalise for a second time.
The Royals had the first opportunity after five minutes with Kaiden Goldspink hitting over the bar from two yards.
Kyle Haylock then made a good run and pass to Jordan Haverson and again the effort went over the bar, with a James Hutchinson free-kick likewise.
On 17 minutes Steve Holder scored from a free-kick to give Ely the lead. Play was then end to end with the away team having a free-kick on 25 minutes from which Goldspink headed the equaliser. It was then Haylock who saw his shot go past the post.
You may also want to watch:
On 35 minutes play was held up following a bad looking leg injury to an Ely player who had to leave the field and was taken to hospital.
On 56 minutes Holder got his and Ely's second goal with a header and shortly afterwards a double substitution by the Royals saw Russell King and Miguel Lopez come on for Cameron Russell and Jordan Haverson.
- 1 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 2 Man and woman found dead in home
- 3 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 4 Norfolk RSPCA cattery full as owners give up lockdown pets
- 5 Anti-vax protesters descend on Norwich pub demanding entry
- 6 Car catches fire after early morning crash
- 7 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 8 Man re-arrested over murder of missing 83-year-old Pat Holland
- 9 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
- 10 Weather warning as more thunderstorms set to hit parts of the region
With play still even the home team put one attempt just wide and Kieran Baldwin then replaced Callum Bell with the Royals pressing for that second goal but to no avail.
With the pitch conditions getting worst it was fortunate the game was no abandoned and both teams deserve credit for their endeavours in the appalling, cold conditions.
Kirkley & Pakefield: A Blowers, C Bell (K Baldwin 75), M Wall, K Goldspink, J Herbert (capt), L Flower, K Haylock, J Hutchinson, L Will, C Russell (M Lopez 70), J Haverson (R King 70). Unused sub: G Soares.
Kirkley & Pakefield Reserves were without a game in Division One of the Anglian Combination and don't play again until January 5, when they visit Hindringham. They go into the festive break third from bottom in the table, but have a nine point advantage over the side immediately below the, North Walsham Town.