Goldspink scores four as Kirkley and Pakefield turn on style

Kirkley & Pakefield on the front foot against Woodbridge Town Picture: BRYAN GRINT

Kirkley & Pakefield on the front foot against Woodbridge Town Picture: BRYAN GRINT - Credit: Archant

Kirkley & Pakefield turned on the style on Tuesday evening to claim a thumping 5-2 win over a Woodbridge Town side who had come into the game with a 100 percent record.

The Royals made several changes to the team defeated 7-0 at Stowmarket with Jordan Smith coming in as keeper, Gerson Soares. Ben George and Kyle Haylock all starting and Harry Creamer replacing the injured Lewis Flower in central defence.

The home team started at a scintillating pace and after only two minutes went a goal up after Haylock broke up play then set Kaiden Goldspink up to side-foot in from inside the 18 yard box. On seven minutes a cracking 20 yard shot from Jack Herbert was palmed over by keeper Stronge.

On 19 minutes Haylock had a good shot deflected out for a corner and the next minute saw Creamer feed Ross King on the edge of the area and his cross found Jack Herbert who neatly slotted home for a 2-0 lead.

On the half hour mark Goldspink received a good through ball and taking it in his stride and fired past the keeper from the edge of the area for goal number three.. Then a Haverson break saw him fouled on the edge of the area and Goldspink fiercely struck the free-kick in, giving the keeper no chance for his hat-trick. Two minutes later Goldspink hit another free-kick from some 25 yards on target but the keeper saved low down and on the stroke of half-time Bowman fired a shot in from some 35 yards, only for the home keeper to save well. The Royals went in with a 4-0 half-time lead after an excellent 45 minutes of football.

The visitors pulled a goal back on 57 minutes after centre forward Day headed home. On 69 minutes Haverson had a good strike from 20 yards well saved by the keeper and then Woodbridge substitute Rudge prodded home a second for the visitors.

On 80 minutes Goldspink sent Haylock into the area where he was brought down and the striker then scored from the spot kick for his fourth of the night. That was the last of his action as he left the field to a huge appreciation to be replaced by Russell.

Most Read

With five minutes remaining Haverson harshly saw his second yellow card of the evening and the red to leave 10 men to see out the final minutes with Smith capping a fine performance with a couple more good saves.

Team: J Smith, A Meekin, G Soares, K Baldwin (A Cox 90), J Herbert, H Creamer, K Haylock, B George, K Goldspink (C Russell 81), J Haverson, R King (K Baker 68). Subs not used: J Spooner, E Reynolds.

A very much depleted Kirkley & Pakefield team made the trek last Saturday to play a very strong Stowmarket Town team that consisted of many players who were playing in higher leagues last season and currently top the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division and were beaten 7-0.

With several players out with injuries, Kyle Haylock still suspended and several players unavailable the Royals were glad to welcome back former player Kyle Baker, with young Ryan Howes and manager Gary McGee also n on the bench.

The match, played in front of an impressive attendance of 249, saw the home team take the lead on six minutes with a thunderous header from Tom Bullard following a corner. On 17 minutes, following a well worked move, Josh Mayhew increased the lead and keeper Rix then made a fine save to punch over a good shot.

Following a free-kick outside the area on 41 minutes former Royal Joe Jefford made it three.

In the second half the Royals were further depleted when the injured Lewis Flower had to be replaced by the returning Baker and after just three minutes the home team increased their lead with Robbie Sweeney turning in a centre from Docherty. A minute later Jefford fired over from inside the six yard box.

The Royals, although four down, showed spirit with young Jake Spooner producing a good run before being fouled on the edge of the area. The free-kick taken by Goldspink was well saved and soon after Goldspink put in another shot which was saved low down.

On the hour keeper Rix made a great save after a wicked deflection from Creamer, preventing an own goal. However goal number five came on 70 minutes after George Clarke fired in an unstoppable shot. Rix made a further good save and on 78 minutes young Ryan Howes came on for his senior debut, replacing Ross King who had put in a good shift. On 82 minutes Haverson shot inches wide.

With the game into added on time Stowmarket managed to score twice more through Dominic Docherty and Christy Finch for a dominant 7-0 score-line after a fine display. The visitiors were well beaten by a superior team but never gave up.

Team: A Rix, A Meekin, H Creamer, K Baldwin, J Herbert, L Flower (K Baker 46), J Spooner, G Williams, K Goldspink, J Haverson, R King (R Howes 78). Sub not used: G McGee.

This Saturday Kirkley & Pakefield are away to Thetford Town (3pm).

After a blank week the Reserves are at Walmer Road on Saturday in an attractive C Net Training Suffolk County FA Senior Cup match against Haughley United, 2.30pm. Next Wednesday evening the Reserves are in Anglian Combination Division One action at home to Wymondham Town, 7.30pm.

The K&PFC U18s have made a good start to the season with a 3-0 win against Bungay Town and a 7-1 defeat of Waveney. The AFC Royals U18s lost away to Wroxham 5-0.

Last Saturday saw both the U23s and the B teams record good starts to the season with 7-0 and 5-0 respective wins.