Kirkley and Pakefield 2, Great Yarmouth Town 0
New Year cheer deserted Great Yarmouth Town as a goal in each half brought a losing start to 2012.
Strikes from Stock and substitute Baker secured the points in a game in which featured an improved performance from the away team.
Yarmouth controlled the early stages of the match and could have taken the lead on eight minutes when following a good move from the right Watkins fired a shot over the crossbar from 25 yards.
And the dominance continued as McAra and Woodcock were able to deliver crosses from the right side, the former collected by Smith under pressure from Hurren, the latter cleared to Lee who curled a 30-yard shot wide of goal.
On 22 minutes a Yarmouth free kick was flicked onto Hurren, but his turn and volley was straight at Smith, and eight minutes later Hurren was involved again as he diverted a clearance to Woodcock in the area, but the striker fired over the bar.
After 35 minutes an interception by Lee set up another counter-attack. The defender ran half the length of the pitch before crossing to Woodcock who volleyed the ball into the side netting.
Six minutes from half-time McCarthy forced a save from Smith after being found by Hurren. From the resulting corner Lee volleyed into the side netting.
- 1 Broads Authority moves to prosecute pub over caravans - again
- 2 A47 reopens after it was closed for six hours due to crash
- 3 See inside this idyllic family home up for sale with NO nearby neighbours
- 4 Former coastal restaurant up for auction
- 5 EXCLUSIVE: The faces behind City's prospective US investment
- 6 Thousands expected to attend huge four-day steam extravaganza
- 7 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 8 Motorcylist in 50s in hospital with serious injuries after tyre shop crash
- 9 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk today
- 10 Multiple fire crews tackle farm blaze overnight
But somehow Yarmouth couldn't make the pressure count; instead Kirkley took the lead against the run of play. On 41 minutes Catchpole's cross from the right found Stock, whose turn and shot looked to be rolling wide of the post, but instead bobbled into the far corner.
The goal sparked Kirkley into life, and they started the second half strongly. Three minutes into the half a Block half-volley was saved by Barber. Two minutes later a Stock header from a corner hit the crossbar twice before dropping behind for a goal kick.
On the hour mark after good work on the left a cross from Bell found Crisp, but from within the six-yard box volleyed over the crossbar. While on 72 minutes a cross was cleared to Carter whose shot rattled the bottom of the post, the rebound falling to Baker who was tackled by Barnden at the vital moment.
Three minutes later Kirkley had another chance when Grint found Block whose shot rebounded back to Block who blasted the ball over the bar.
The home side continued their pressure and with ten minutes to go Block, while one on one with Barber, was tackled by the goalkeeper and saw his rebound cleared off the line by Giacomelli.
But Kirkley's second came with six minutes remaining. Bell's free kick found substitute Baker, whose turn and shot flew past Barber and into the far corner.
Baker could have made it three just a minute later when his shot from 20 yards hit the underside of the bar and bounced close to the line before Barber collected. It was questionable whether the ball crossed the line.
But credit to Yarmouth, they kept going until the full time whistle, with strikes from Hurren, Woodcock and Kemp coming close to rippling Kirkley's net.
• Kirkley & Pakefield: Jordan Smith, Tarren Grint, Joe Bell, Sean Blowers, Sam Cole, Max Kirby (Kyle Baker, 64), Danny Block (Ben Herditch, 83), Ross Catchpole, Ryan Crisp (Chris Bond, 67), Russell Stock, Bodey Carter. Unused Subs: Joe Clarke, Rob Hills
Bookings: Catchpole (87)
Goals: Stock (41), Baker (84)
• Yarmouth Town: Ian Barber, Charlie McAra (Marian Jobbagy, 46), Leighton Crux (Nathan Kemp, 68), Simeon Lee, Sam Giacomelli, George Barnden, Philip Watkins, Olly McCarthy, Neil Hurren, Scott Woodcock, Daniel Burkle. Unused Subs: David Hackleton
Bookings: Lee (48)
• Attendance: 165