Kirby Bedon repel brave fightback to clinch trophy

A memorable Bure Cup final went down to the last bowl as Kirby Bedon held on to win the cup, defeating Coltishall 25-23 on aggregate.

After their emphatic 16-8 away win in the first leg Kirby Bedon were hoping to quickly consolidate their position at home but their visitors had other ideas. Coltishall's Martin Edridge, Eddie Edridge and Willie Jefferies opened in style with a 9-3 win against Leonora Chilman, Neil Davidson and Brian Saunders but Jill Watson, Gerald Chilvers and Phil Watson countered for Kirby with a 6-4 win against Brian Bunting, Carol Aggas and John Aggas.

Then Coltishall turned up the heat on a strangely out-of-sorts Kirby side as they reeled off three wins and a draw in the next two sessions. Vernon Bunn, Peter Barnett and Les Harman beat Alistair Hunter's triple 8-4, Willie Jefferies' triple beat Phil Watson's triple 7-2 and John Aggas beat Brian Saunders by 13-3.

Syd Harman, Jean Barnett and Margaret Harman looked on course to add another win when they led Jan Hewitt, Teresa Goldsmith and Selwyn Goldsmith by 6-0 after three ends but the home triple fought back to force a draw and Kirby led by just 19-17 on aggregate at the halfway stage.

Coltishall were now fully aware that what had looked a lost cause after the first leg was now anything but.

Margaret Harman's triple continued the onslaught beating Alistair Hunter's triple 6-3 but Coltishall's bid to draw level was thwarted as Selwyn Goldsmith's triple beat Les Harman's triple 8-3. Kirby Bedon continued to stubbornly hold on as Jackie Tunmore, Jimmy Dye and Alistair Hunter scored their first win of the night at a vital stage beating Willie Jefferies 8-4 as the two team captains came up against each other. Coltishall could not afford another loss if they were to keep this tie alive into the last session and Les Harman's triple duly obliged beating Leonora Chilman, Brian Saunders and Neil Davidson 9-2. With Coltishall now ahead on shots Kirby needed to win one of the last session games to lift the cup and their chances were not helped as they were forced to replace Teresa Goldsmith with substitute Dot Dawson.

The Bunting-Aggas-Aggas triple took full advantage with a solid performance inflicting the first defeat of the night on home skip Selwyn Goldsmith.

Most Read

The match was finally decided on mat two where Kirby's Phil Watson was playing Margaret Harman, the bowler who had saved Coltishall from total disaster in the first leg.

Harman's triple led 3-2 with two ends to go but the Coltishall skip was forced to go on the attack on the penultimate end.

However she was unable to prevent Watson's triple scoring three shots to lead 5-3 going into the final end.

Good bowls from Jill Watson and Gerald Chilvers left Harman's triple in deep trouble but Jean Barnett was able to spring the jack into the open although Kirby still held shot.

With Coltishall bowls waiting at the back the Coltishall skip needed to force the jack back towards the ditch to snatch a last-gasp victory but finished up scoring just a single to leave Watson's triple with a 5-4 win and Kirby Bedon celebrating a Bure Cup victory.

This was a remarkable two leg final in which both teams played superbly away from home yet were disappointing on their own mats. Norfolk Over 60's secured the runner-up spot in the Eastern England Over 60's League with a home win against Cambridgeshire at Lakeside after a successful final session.

The first three sessions were all drawn as home advantage failed to help Norfolk. This left the match level at 12-12 on points, with Norfolk leading on shots by just 160-158, with one session remaining.

Norfolk knew that they needed to beat their visitors by four points to pip them for second position behind Northants.

Norfolk players rose to the occasion and broke the deadlock as Costessey's Shirley and Joe Brown won 19-11, Keith Halford and Mike Boswell of Anglian Windows won 16-11 and Jenny Walker of Thorpe Marriott and Sprowston's John Poynter won by 9-7.

Cambs only last session win was claimed by Gill and Tony Kent who won by 19-11.

This left Norfolk celebrating a 20-14 win as their 215-205 shots advantage earned them the two bonus points.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter