King’s Lynn Young Stars poised for evening in the spotlight ahead of home National League opener
King's Lynn Stars are without a fixture this week but there will still be some speedway action at the Norfolk Arena tonight.
The Young Stars begin their National League campaign against Coventry Storm looking to forget a torrid 2012 which saw them finish at the foot of the table.
Dale Allitt's men are being tipped as potential title winners after strengthening their line-up during the winter. But the man at the helm is refusing to get carried away about an expected upturn in fortunes.
Young Stars' team boss Allitt said: 'It's always nice to read comments from people who have predicted us to do well. But I've learnt over the years to only worry ourselves.
'We will be taking one meeting at a time and will be looking to build momentum by getting off to a good start. We have got a very, very good team this year and there's absolutely no reason we can't do well.
You may also want to watch:
'But it's massively important we don't get carried away by anything and take nothing for granted. We've got to go out there and win meetings and that's what we intend to do, starting from Wednesday night.'
Captain Lewis Kerr certainly goes into the meeting on a high after enjoying a scintillating start to life at the higher-level Premier League for Newcastle.
- 1 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 2 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 3 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 4 Nine Norfolk flood alerts ahead of Storm Christoph
- 5 Man who died in west Norfolk crash named
- 6 Man who drove 128 miles for fish and chips among latest Covid fines
- 7 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 8 Delivery van towed from deep water on road closed due to flood risk
- 9 Going full term during this coronavirus pandemic fills me with absolute terror
- 10 Carer caught on CCTV letting dog scratch vulnerable pensioner
He also passed Gino Manzares on the final home straight during Friday's warm-up clash against a USA Touring Team which ended 45-45 at Saddlebow Road.
Storm lost their opening meeting 48-41 at Mildenhall Fen Tigers and name ex-Young Stars' ace Brendan Johnson, plus British under-21 champion Robert Branford, in their team.
Young Stars: 1 Darren Mallett, 2 Shane Waldron, 3 Jake Knight, 4 James Cockle, 5 Lewis Kerr, 6 Lewis Rose, 7 Shane Hazelden
Coventry: 1 Joe Jacobs, 2 Richard Franklin, 3 Robert Branford, 4 Brendan Johnson, 5 James Sarjeant, 6 Tommy Fenwick, 7 Martin Knuckey