King's Lynn v Wealdstone

Today's visitors at the walks, Wealdstone, were making their first visit for 36 years and only their third ever. The first came almost 40 years ago to the day when the Linnets were victorious in the East Anglian cup final in 1967, winning 3-1 in front of a crowd of 1224.

King's Lynn 1, Wealdstone 0: Today's visitors at the walks, Wealdstone, were making their first visit for 36 years and only their third ever. The first came almost 40 years ago to the day when the Linnets were victorious in the East Anglian cup final in 1967, winning 3-1 in front of a crowd of 1224.

With both sides having achieved their immediate objectives in midweek of a playoff place for Lynn and in the case of Wealdstone, premier division safety, there was little depending on the game.

The main on-field interest would be to see how Lynn defenders coped with the current league hot shots Robinson and Papali.

For the team news Lynn made several changes from the side which clinched the playoff place in midweek against team Bath. Shaun Marshall replaced Howie in goal, Danny Hammond came in for Mark Warren with Andrew Fisk keeping his place in midfield. Lynn made three other changes: Charlie Defty getting a start in place of Mark Camm and Mark Heath-Preston wore the number nine shirt in place of Jack Defty. Danny Bloomfield also made a start.

Wealdstone kicked off with Lynn set to attack the Tennyson Road end.

An early free kick for the Linnets came to nothing. A kick break for the visitors' Paplai was nullified by an offside flag.

Most Read

For Lynn, West made a run down the right wing and crossed for Defty to flick on.

Bloomfield collected, but his close range effort was well headed by Wealdstone goalkeeper Swain.

A Blois cross was headed back across goal by Bloomfield for Charlie Defty to power a shot from 25 yards just past the angle of post and bar. For Wealdstone the dangerous Robinson went past two defenders to the byline only for Marshall to beat the ball away and for Hammond to concede the corner which was cleared by Fisk. As at Wealdstone, right back Lee Chappell was again causing danger to the Lynn defence.

For Wealdstone a free kick taken by Clark was played to the back post where Chappell was unable to direct the ball back across goal.

Wealdstone again looked dangerous on their right wing with O'Toole playing Papali down the inside right channel who in turn found Robinson, but Marshall brought off a good stop as the centre-forward was too careful with his shot.

For Lynn O'Halloran found Fisk who beat his man and played a low cross into the box to set up a gilt-edged chance for Bloomfield who missed from point-blank range with a shot being blocked by a defender, Crane firing the rebound over from 35 yards.

Robinson and Papali again combined well for the visitors to feed Montgomery whose cross was well dealt with by Hammond who cleared the danger. Marshall then had to be quick off his line to claim a free kick hoisted into the box by Clark after Gould had fouled the same player.

From a free kick to Lynn the ball was played out to Blois whose deep cross found Crane unmarked at the back post, but Swain was equal to the centre-half's effort. The quick break down the Wealdstone left ended with Montgomery's cross being saved by Marshall with his legs to be cleared by two Lynn defenders for a fruitless corner as the game now flowed from end to end. Lynn replied with Charlie Defty carrying the ball in midfield to play a good through ball to Bloomfield, whose effort was saved by goalkeeper Swain. Hammond conceded a free kick for a high foot but Clark's shot was well blocked by the wall.

Robinson being rulked offside as he attempted to net the rebound. Wealdstone's keeper Swain made a brave punch under pressure as Heath-Preston went in to meet a right wing cross from O'Halloran. By and large defences were coping well with the attackers in a game which despite its lack of goals was not uninteresting. The last attack of the half was by the visitors with Carbon crossing from the right, the ball being returned by Montgomery for a shot by O'Toole which was deflected over the bar for a corner well headed clear by Blois.

Half time: King's Lynn 0 Wealdstone 0.

Neither side made a change during the interval.

The game sprang into action in the 53rd minute when O'Halloran put Lynn ahead.

As the ball broke to him on the right-wing his shot across the goal deceived the keeper and went into the net.

Lynn pressed for a second, and a deep cross from Blois was pushed away by Swain, with O'Halloran's follow up shot being kicked off the line by Chappell.

Another cross from West on the right saw Charlie Defty with a diving header, bring a superb save from Swain.

Defty then raced back into defence to rob O'Toole as Wealdstone broke from the clearance.

From a free-kick taken by Montgomery the ball was cleared for a corner and from the long kick downfield by the Lynn defence, was chased by Heath-Preston, whose attempted lob almost caught out Swain as the ball bounced just wide of the goal.

Lynn continued to press and Crane found West, and his cross from the right wing caused problems in the visitors defence, but Wealdstone eventually cleared their lines.

On 70 minutes Lynn made a double substitution bringing on Camm for Fiske, and Frew for Heath-Preston.

Frew was immediately into the action, when from a throw taken from Gould, his shot on the turn was just inches wide.

Swain, being deemed to have got his fingertips to the ball as a corner was awarded.

Gould's in-swinging kick was punched away under pressure by the goalkeeper.

Lynn made what was probably the best move of the match when Hammond found West, who in turn gave the ball to Bloomfield who laid the ball off to Frew, whose fierce shot hit the underside of the bar and came out.

At this stage Lynn were well in control of the second half, little being seen of the Wealdstone attack.

The visitors did try to retaliate but an ambitious 35-yard effort by substitute Donnelly flew high over the bar.

After Scott Martin, on as a substitute for Wealdstone, had draw Marshall from his goal, West did well to head the cross away as Robinson waited at the back post to pounce.

Blois for Lynn, with a fine crossfield ball, found Frew on the Lynn right, but his cross to Bloomfield was behind the striker and the chance had gone. Camm picked up the loose ball and tried a lob, which drifted just wide of the post.

At the other end Marshall had to be alert as Papali tried to race on to a throughball.

Lynn's Jamie Gould picked up the ball on the left to find Charlie Defty, who in turn found Frew, whose cross on the turn was well claimed by Swain.

Lynn had another good move involving Blois, Defty and West, who played in Camm, whose shot was palmed away by Swain.

Wealdstone tried to retaliate mainly through the long throws of Chappell who were always dangerous before being cleared.

As they sought an equaliser, Montgomery brought a fine save from Marshall.

Crane was then cautioned for a foul on Martin.

From the free-kick Papali's effort at goal was stopped at Hammond at the expense of a corner, from which the ball broke to Adegoite, whose shot was well saved by Marshall.

This was the final action of league season at the Walks which left the result King's Lynn 1, Wealdstone 0. The attendance of 823 were awaiting for the other results to determine as to whom Lynn would meet in Tuesday's play-off semi-final. The result of Maidenhead's win at Banbury will see the United visit Lynn on Tuesday with a 7.45 kick off.

King's Lynn 1, Wealdstone 0

King's Lynn: Marshall, West, Blois, Hammond, Crane, Fisk, O'Halloran, Charlie Defty, Heath-Preston, Bloomfield and Gould while on the bench were Warren, Camm and Frew who returned from injury with goalkeeper Scott Howie. Steve Melton remained on the injured list.

Wealdstone: Swain, Chappell, Carbon, Carl Martin, Hall, Clark, O'Toole, O'Leary, Robinson, Papali, Montgomery, subs Donnelly, Simon Martin, Adegoite, Delisser, Wooldridge. Referee Martin Chester from Lincoln.