King’s Lynn Town boss Gary Setchell pleased with his Portuguese trialists
- Credit: Archant
Portuguese pair Valter Fernandes and Ed Gomes are set to continue their trials with King's Lynn Town this evening.
Fernandes, 24, a former Porto, Sporting Lisbon and Maritimo youngster, dazzled during his cameo at right-back when the Linnets' beat AFC Sudbury 5-2 on Saturday.
Left-back Gomes, 23, also looked more than comfortable and the duo are set to feature again this evening at The Walks when Dereham Town make the short trip up the A47.
Gary Setchell was impressed by both of the pacy players' displays and says he will continue to give opportunities to new faces during the rest of his pre-season programme.
'I spoke to a guy this week, in all fairness looking for a striker, and he brought me two full-backs,' laughed the Lynn boss. 'I felt more than obliged to give them a run and hopefully he's got a striker on his books who is as comfortable on the ball as what them two were (at the weekend).
You may also want to watch:
'The right-back (Fernandes) has been a good player and his CV is very, very good, and I don't think he gave the ball away when he came on. He's very athletic. Both played very well and I don't think they looked out of place at all and the right-back did very well especially.
'We've got a lot of games coming up and I'll pull one or two young lads in and trialists just to help us with the workload and have a look. You never know, you might fall on a gem. There's no harm in trying and if I'm going to try there's no point doing it at Nantwich away (first league game, August 17), I've got to do it in the pre-season games.'
- 1 More storms ahead as flood warnings remain in place
- 2 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 3 Family demands answers after 91-year-old dies weighing four stone
- 4 Inquest hears sister of Hannah Witheridge died while pregnant
- 5 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 6 'They're blaming me' - Social housing tenant angry over state of flat
- 7 Cannabis stash worth about £2000 found hidden in home
- 8 'Lost a couple of staff members a day' - how the 'pingdemic' is hitting Norfolk
- 9 Hunt for man in connection with drug dealing
- 10 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
Fernandes captained Portugal's Under-19 side while Gomes has been playing for Real Clube, Manchester United winger Nani's first club.
Striker Carlo Coppari was also given a chance by Setchell this summer. But he returned to Italy to try his luck with a lower-level side after two short substitute appearances.