King’s Lynn Town boss Gary Setchell insists Leek Town draw was one point gained, not two dropped

Gary Setchell believes King's Lynn Town's draw on Saturday was definitely a case of one point gained rather than two dropped.

Steve Spriggs' first-half penalty had looked set to see the Linnets leave Leak Town with all three points until Tim Grice rifled home an 81st-minute equaliser.

However, the Lynn boss admits their Staffordshire hosts would have been hard done by had they left Harrison Park without something to show from a game which they dominated for much of the afternoon.

Setchell said: 'On the balance of play it would have been a smash and grab had we got all three points if I'm being honest. But you just feel for the players for the amount of effort and commitment they put in. They worked their socks off.

'We got the goal and you think, 'with these boys they're going to hang on'. And we hung on, and we hung on, and we dogged in and we were trying to hit them on the counter attack with Spriggsy (Spriggs) and I think a point was a fair result.

'I can sometimes handle it if we don't get all three points if the players have given me everything they've got. Certainly, second half, they did that and they couldn't have done any more. Even their goal came about after we put two great blocks in and the third fell to their bloke who smashed it home.

'This was a tough place to come. They've got a lot of games to catch up – they lost in the play-off final last year – and they feel they are better side this time.

Most Read

'It was just a difficult game and I think it could be a handy point come the end of the year because I don't think many teams will relish coming here.'

Lynn 'keeper Danny Gay made a string of fine saves to keep the hosts at bay – especially with the score at 0-0 – as Setchell's Evo-Stik Division One South high-flyers found the going tough.

And their task was certainly not made easier when influential frontman Russell Dunkley limped off inside 10 minutes with a suspected hamstring injury, which Setchell insists unsettled his side even more.

'Losing Dunkley early was a blow because of the way we had to play on Saturday,' said the Lynn boss.

'It was very difficult to pass the ball (on their pitch) so we were going to try and get the ball into Russell and get round him – a little bit like we did at Worksop last week. It's too early to say how long he'll be out for.

'Dunks felt it and he came off. He's not ripped it because after he did it he was walking around. Maybe it's two to three weeks. I'd rather rule him out of the (FA) Trophy than our league games.'

• Click on the related link on the right-hand side of this page to read a match report from Saturday's game.