King’s Lynn Town boss Gary Setchell hits out at Droylsden after late postponement

Lynn boss Gary Setchell was not a happy chappy at the weekend. Pictuire: Matthew Usher.

Lynn boss Gary Setchell was not a happy chappy at the weekend. Pictuire: Matthew Usher. - Credit: Matthew Usher

King's Lynn Town boss Gary Setchell believes that Droylsden were not up for playing in the rain on Saturday afternoon.

Lynn's match in east Manchester was called off just 15 minutes prior to kick-off, after a late hailstone storm left the pitch waterlogged.

After three inspections of the Butcher's Arms pitch, the officiating team deemed it unsafe to play, and Lynn boss Gary Setchells believes they made the correct call – despite their hosts' eagerness to have the game called off.

'It was the right decision but I think it could have been made earlier,' said Setchell.

'The referee gave the game its best chance but it wasn't to be. I don't think Droylsden were overly keen to play the game themselves.

'We will come here again on a Tuesday night and hopefully get the points, but I felt this was a good opportunity for us to get ourselves in the top five.'

Setchell slammed their lowly opponents – bottom of the Evo-Stik Premier Division – who are without a win all season, and were pushing the referee to call the game off.

Most Read

'They just weren't keen to play it. They were just guessing with what was going to happen with the weather in the next 20 minutes. They could earn some money if they knew what the weather was going to be and guessing that there was going to be rain or it would do this or that,' he said.

'It was the right decision for the safety of the players but Droylsden didn't help us very much if I am being honest.'

Droylsden also refused Lynn the opportunity to do some running on the pitch after the referee's decision was made.

Setchell tried to get his players to put in 20 minutes of light work, but were subsequently ejected from the pitch by angry Droylsden officials.

Lynn's boss said: 'We were just going to do some straight-line running, something that wouldn't have hurt the pitch in any way, shape or form and they have pulled us off the pitch.

'It wasn't like we were using a ball or doing any twisting and turning, we just wanted to do 20 minutes work after the disappointment.'

In a good-will gesture, the King's Lynn players and staff put a kitty together to buy all of the travelling supporters a drink in the clubhouse for their efforts.

The frustrated fans were refused their entrance money back, despite a 300-mile round trip which saw them see no football.

The fans were given a small raffle ticket to provide free admission into the rearranged fixture, but the tickets did not state the match or date on them, leaving many Lynn fans unsure whether they will actually be of any value come the rearranged fixture.

'It's the fans you have to feel sorry for,' said Setchell.

'They have come a long way, spent a load of money to come and support us and it is disappointing.'

A rearranged date is yet to be organised.

Lynn remain ninth in the table but now have one, or in some cases two, games on a host of sides around them. They're just four points outside of the play-off places too.