Frome Town 0 King’s Lynn Town 0: Linnets stay top of the pile despite frustration at Frome
- Credit: Archant
King's Lynn Town again found themselves frustrated by Frome – but remain top of the table.
While the Linnets were being held by the Somerset club for the second time this season, Kettering and Weymouth also drew, while Hereford were being knocked out of the FA trophy. Of the top five, only Tiverton won, 5-0 at Gosport Borough
Hard-working Frome rode their luck in defence, looked dangerous on the break and the draw was just about a fair reflection of the game.
Frome looked the more pro-active at the start and keeper Alex Street had to be quick off his line to deny Darren Jefferies.
As the game settled, any chances Lynn created tended to be as a result of corners and free-kicks, but Karl Crabtree was taking no chances and tipped a header over the bar in the 26th, though Frome were a little fortunate in the 33rd as a long ball was headed upwards by Marcus Mapstone and as Crabtree came out for the ball, Lynn's Michael Clunan nipped in but shot well wide.
A Jon Davies volley brought a good save from Street as Frome again opened up the visitors' defence, but probably the best chance of the half fell to Lynn's Michael Gash who headed a left wing cross well wide just before the interval when he should really have hit the target.
After fellow hit-man Leon Mettam had a goal disallowed for offside at the start of the second half, Lynn looked livelier and began to dominate territory and possession, but after a quarter of an hour, Frome seemed to have weathered the storm and the game became a tasty end-to-end affair.
- 1 Case of Omicron Covid variant confirmed in north Norfolk
- 2 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 3 Norfolk college named best secondary school in the UK
- 4 Shocking footage appears to show £100m Marham jet crashing off carrier
- 5 Man charged with drink driving after crash at police station
- 6 Woman with scissors said she wanted to murder someone at supermarket
- 7 ‘This was our worst nightmare’: Locals shock after man dies in crash
- 8 Confusion as people in Norfolk mistakenly turn up for booster jab
- 9 Waste carrier fined £1,900 after metal and containers found in woodland
- 10 Plan to charge for seafront floral tributes is agreed
Lynn went close in the 73rd minute when as a free-kick was swung in and Gash headed against the base of the post, but Frome could have pinched it when Jefferies shot just wide.
But Lynn finished stronger Crabtree did well three times in the last 10 minutes to parry away and save bravely at the feet of an onrushing forward and ensure a share of the points.
Frome: Crabtree, Miller, Withey, Roberts, Mapstone, Griffiths, Davies, Raynes, Page (Bath 70), D Jefferies, Knight. Subs not used: Holland, Cleverley, J Jeffries.
King's Lynn: Street, Norman, Fryatt, Ward, Blake-Tracey, Jarvis, Clunan, Parker (King 75), Gash, Mettam (Hilliard 75), Lappin.
Subs not used: Siddons, Hawkins. Att: 229