King’s Lynn Town 4, Great Yarmouth Town 3

Lynn joint boss Kevin Boon admitted the UCL table toppers' latest comeback win in the FA Vase must act as a wake-up call.

The Linnets will now visit UCL Division One club Thrapston on October 2 in the first round proper after surviving a huge scare at The Walks in front of a season- best 865 crowd.

Lynn were two goals down to their Ridgeons Premier Division neighbours through Linnets' old boy Luke Fell and Kevin Howes. Skipper Jack Defty struck from the penalty spot prior to the interval when Danny White was up-ended before two goals in the space of a second-half minute calmed frayed nerves.

Defty glanced home Jamie Alsop's cross then teed up Steve Spriggs to notch his second in consecutive games. Scott Cubberley's stoppage-time fourth looked to have sealed victory but Bloaters' highly-rated striker Jake Reed pounced on more indecisive defending to fire past Alex Street in the final moments.

Boon insisted there is plenty to work on after edging another tense Norfolk struggle following a previous round extra time win at Dereham.

'At times our football was scintillating but to concede the goals we did, in mine and Setch's (Gary Setchell) eyes, is just not good enough,' said Boon.

'You have to give our boys credit for the character and commitment because they dug in and turned it around, and they did the same at Dereham in the previous round.

Most Read

'The first 20 minutes we just weren't at the races and perhaps we gave them too much respect. That was one of the poorest starts to a game we have had, but even by half time we could have scored five goals.'

Fell punished his former club after latching onto Martin McNeil's weak headed clearance to calmly slot past Street.

The young keeper's outstretched leg denied Fell a second with Pat Bexfield hacking clear on his goal line but Street had no chance with Howes' brave diving header.

'I had to pinch myself at 2-0 and I said to my assistant is this a dream,' said Bloaters' boss Paul Tong. 'I said to them beforehand, 'I don't think you know how to play defensively, so we'll come and have a go,' and we did. 'But I knew at half time and I told the boys, 'enjoy it lads, because this might not last long,' although I was hoping it would last a bit longer.

'I wanted to give Lynn a game and I think we did that. Lynn have some quality players and I hope they go a long way in the competition but that might just be the wake-up call that one or two of them need.'

Boon acknowledged Lynn's defensive display was a cause for concern. 'With the players we have in the club we'll always create chances because we have so much quality but we have to seal it up at the back,' he said. 'That is the only way you improve the team all round and if it means bringing in a player we will, but I think we have players here who can do the job.

'If you're a defender that is your job, not to bring it down or take an extra touch and make no mistake those players at fault have been told. Setch said to me one day that will come back to bite us and he is right.'

Defty's penalty was the precursor to a home offensive either side of the interval that finally wore down the Bloaters when the captain glanced home before Spriggs fired Lynn in front. Cubberley looked to have secured Lynn's cup passage in stoppage time but Reed scored with virtually the last kick of the game for the plucky visitors.

'Reedy is disappointed because he only had five touches during the second half but he will cause teams problems,' said Tong. 'They are na�ve in that they are young and will make mistakes and they give the ball away too cheaply. We have a lot of young lads and they have to put up with abuse from me, shouting on the touchline, but I think we can go back to the league and hopefully pick up some points.

'Realistically, it was never going to be our day. Maybe if we had got 20 minutes into the second half then you start to dream but anyone who paid their money to come and watch has got full value.'

Boon confimed after the game defender Stuart Ablett was set for a precautionary hospital check up after being withdrawn at half time with a damaged cheekbone and mild concussion.

King's Lynn: Street, Bexfield, Alsop, J Thurlbourne, McNeil, Ablett (Buhlemann 45), Spriggs (Smith 79), White, Defty, Harris (Cubberley 69), J Thurlbourne. Subs (not used): Doherty, Hails.

Yarmouth: Hilton, King, Savage, Roberts, Magee, Catchpole, Woodcock (Vide 59), Smith, Howes (Norman 63), Reed, Fell (Bell 81). Subs (not used): Durrant, Jessup.

Bookings: Roberts, Woodcock

Goals: Fell (8), Howes (32), Reed (90)

Referee: C Marsden (Leics)

Attendance: 865