King’s Lynn Town 4, Gorleston 0

FA VASE: The Linnets cruised through to the third round of the FA Vase after a comfortable win over a young Gorleston side.

Goals from skipper Jack Defty, Robbie Harris, Steve Spriggs and Brady Stone helped Lynn secure victory in front of a crowd of 806.

The result pleased Town's joint boss Gary Setchell who said if it hadn't been for the impressive Elliott Pride in Gorleston's goal the scoreline would have been greater.

'We started on the front foot and didn't allow Gorleston to get into our half,' he said. 'They are a good side but there was a bit of difference in class and I think that showed at times today.

'Fair play to them, they kept going but so did we and we scored good goals at crucial times.

'The key for us today was just to win the game and that's what we have done and we can now look forward to the next round.'

Town started the clash brightly and it didn't take long for them to take control of the tie with skipper Jack Defty scoring after eight minutes after out-jumping keeper Pride to nod home an outswinging cross by Robbie Harris.

Most Read

The hosts continued to keep a strong grip on the game with some slick passing and a driving run and shot from right back Daniel Buhlemann almost put the Linnets two goals to the good just after 15 minutes.

Good efforts from Patrick Bexfield, who returned to the side after a suspected heart murmur this week, and Brady Stone ensured their side continued to dominate.

Winger Harris then went narrowly close to doubling the lead twice in the space of a minute. His first chance came after he was sent through on goal by a delightful ball by Buhlemann but his effort drifted wide of the post.

Harris then sent the ball over from a few yards moments later when striker Defty knocked down a cross from Buhlemann.

But Lynn were rewarded for their hard work and dominance when Defty brought down a long ball and flicked it over his head to feed Steve Spriggs whose half volley shot-come-cross found Harris who couldn't miss.

After the re-start, Town continued where they left off and a powerful Defty header from a corner looked to have made it 3-0 but the Gorleston keeper was on hand to pull off a great save to deny the striker.

There was a glimmer of hope for Gorleston after a moment of madness from Town's defence saw a scuffed free-kick bobble its way through a crowd of players to land at the feet of Gorleston's Jack Herbet but the centre half lashed over the bar.

Herbet's poor finish was then punished when the ball was sent up the other end and pacy Spriggs turned his marker, darted through the defence and drilled low, across the keeper and into the net.

The winger then almost added to his tally minutes later when a poor clearance arrived to his feet at the left hand side of the penalty box and he smashed a shot towards the top corner but it was brilliantly turned over by keeper Pride.

From the resulting corner, Spriggs found centre half Brady Stone whose volley through a sea of green and yellow jerseys soared into the net to put the game out of Gorleston's hands.

Midfielder Danny White almost made it five when he ghosted into the Gorleston box in the closing stages and directed a cross towards goal – only for the impressive Pride to come to Gorleston's rescue again.

Not even the sending off of substitute Ryan Fryatt, who got his marching orders for bringing down a Gorleston striker as last man in the dying minutes, stopped the United Counties Premier side from securing a clean sheet.

• King's Lynn Town: Street, Buhlemann, Alsop, Thurlbourne (Millsom, 69), McNeil (Fryatt, 79), Stone, Spriggs, White, Defty, Bexfield (Doherty, 60), Harris Subs (not used): Smith, Hails

• Goals: Defty (8), Harris (37), Spriggs (58), Stone (67)

• Bookings: Buhlemann (34) White (79)

• Sending off: Fryatt (84)

• Gorleston: Pride, Blowers, Daniels, Williams, Herbert, Thompson, Sandford, Hough (Bartley, 85), Forbes, Oldham (Mitchell, 60), Hunn (Burgess, 77) Subs (not used) Kareche.

• Attendance: 806