King’s Lynn Town 0 Cambridge United 3

Lynn welcomed back George Thomson following a brief trial with Chester City. Picture: Ian Burt

Lynn welcomed back George Thomson following a brief trial with Chester City. Picture: Ian Burt - Credit: IAN BURT

King's Lynn Town suffered their second setback of the summer against a slick Cambridge United side last night.

The newly-promoted League Two outfit provided Lynn with their stiffest pre-season assignment so far as Gary Setchell's side failed to reach the heights of their midweek victory over a Norwich City XI last week.

First-half efforts from Delano Sam-Yorke and Ryan Donaldson set Richard Money's troops on their way before a late own goal from Dan Quigley rounded off the scoring in the second half.

Lynn welcomed back George Thomson following a brief trial with Chester City, while the Cambridge squad included six players who featured in the Blue Square Premier play-off final at Wembley back in May.

Among their starting line-up was ex-Manchester United and Norwich City midfielder Luke Chadwick, who controlled affairs in the middle of the park.

Despite making a confident start, it was the Linnets who fell behind after four minutes when Sam-Yorke rifled home on the edge of the six-yard box following a square pass from Luke Berry.

Lynn's first opportunity came from a David Bell free-kick in the 14th minute, but Jason Lee could only direct his header straight into the arms of visiting goalkeeper Will Norris.

Most Read

The U's doubled their lead six minutes later when David Bell lost possession in the middle of the park and Berry played in Ryan Donaldson to find the back of the net, despite a strong suspicion of offside.

Marauding full-back Jackson Ramm tested the palms of Norris with a vicious drive while Jake Jones saw his effort hacked off the line for a corner as Lynn threatened a quick response.

Both Donaldson and Jonathan Hunt went close to extending United's lead as the first 45 minutes drew to a close.

Lynn replaced defender Ross Wastson with striker Sam Mulready at the break and moved Dan Quigley into the heart of their defence.

Mulready almost made an instant impact, seeing his effort turned away for a corner by Norris.

Former Lynn loanee James Hurst almost marked his return to The Walks with a goal but home shotstopper Alex Street was on hand to pull off a stunning save to deny him midway through the second period.

Lynn huffed and puffed in search of a reply before Quigley turned a cross into his own net six minutes from time.

Lynn: Street, Ramm, Yong, Lee (Spriggs 66), Fryatt (Ward 78), Watson (Mulready 46), Bell, Quigley, Frew, Jones (Stocker 78), Thomson.

Cambridge United: Norris, Tait (George 35), Austin, Coulson, Hughes, Whittle (Hurst 63), Donaldson (Joe-Taylor66), Chadwick, Sam-Yorke, Berry, Hunt (Bevins 56).

Goals: Sam-Yorke 4, Donaldson 20, Quigley (own goal) 84.

Referee: Mr J. Turner (Norfolk).

Attendance: 262.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter