King’s Lynn Sunday League round-up: Heroic eight-man Terrington beat FANG in cup final thriller

Eight-man Terrington completed a heroic comeback to clinch the treble after an incredible League Cup final at River Lane.

Both divisional champions faced off in the penultimate finals' day of the season. FANG, of Division Two, faced Terrington, of Division One, in an eagerly anticipated game, watched by a crowd of around 120.

FANG were certainly not overawed by their opponents and soon raced into a 1-0 lead after a couple of minutes when Alex Vincent burst through and slotted home.

Terrington seemed at sixes and sevens after this and soon found themselves 2-0 down after some erratic goalkeeping from Aaron Beales. After being tackled in his own six-yard box, he brought down the FANG striker to earn himself a red card, and Vincent dispatched the resultant penalty.

It got worse for Terrington as FANG were attacking at will and when Swaffham Town hot-shot Vincent completed his hat-trick, despite the best efforts of stand-in keeper Simon Bird, it seemed game over.

Terrington finally managed to get out of their own half towards the end of the opening 45 minutes, and on the stroke of half-time, Dean Twaite-Smith coolly finished to give Terrington a glimmer of hope.

The 10 men of Terrington battled harder, and played smarter in the second half, and were soon swamping all over FANG. They pulled another goal back through Kaz Beetlestone's looping header.

Most Read

With the Division One and Division One Knockout Cup champions threatening to equalise, FANG were awarded a controversial penalty following Adrian Hill's challenge on Vincent. In the ensuing melee, player/manager Gavin Caney – who only brought himself on at half-time – and captain Luke Tordoff of Terrington both saw red for dissent. Vincent picked himself up and slotted home his fourth of the afternoon. Terrington were down to eight men. Surely it was game over?

The Terrington eight launched an all-out assault on the FANG goal, despite the numerical disadvantage. They soon got their just rewards when two goals from Twaite-Smith saw them, somehow, against all odds, pull level at 4-4 just before full time.

Matty Prudence gave his brave side the lead in extra-time with a towering header, before Michael Rix equalised for FANG to make 5-5 at the death, and send the tie into penalties.

Obviously, five penalties each were never going to be enough, and with a shoot-out score of 9-8 from 10 penalties each, Terrington, with 8 men, were crowned the League Cup champions thanks to Beetlestone's winning spot-kick.

Away the drama of that game, elsewhere at River Lane, Chilvers rocked Lynn Napier 7-2 to claim second place in Division One. Danny Jezeph bagged another five-goal haul with Ashley Keegan and James Tricks also slotting home. Rocky Mayes and Ryan Juby scored for the Nap.

In Division Two, at the same venue, Maltings completed their season with a 4-2 victory over Elm. Kyle Plumb notched four for the hosts, who finish fourth, while Dave Abbott netted twice for Elm.

This Sunday sees the final games of the season at Wisbech Town's ground for the league's last finals' day.

England's Hope meet Chilvers in the Cherrington Cup at 10.30am before William Burt do battle with Norfolk Junior Cup and Division Two champions FANG – looking to complete their own treble – in the TGWU Cup.

- This report was submitted.