King’s Lynn Stars boosted by Tero Aarnio ahead of Knockout Cup final against Somerset Rebels
King's Lynn Stars have booked flying Finnish ace Tero Aarnio to race at reserve in both legs of the Knockout Cup final with Somerset.
Aarnio steps in for the injured Michael Palm Toft as the Stars head to the Oaktree Arena on Wednesday evening with the return leg on home shale 24 hours later.
Aarnio has plenty of experience in British racing and readily accepted the invite to help out Dale Allitt's men.
'Tero showed a great attitude when we asked him and we have every confidence he will give it his all in King's Lynn colours,' said Allitt.
'When you are booking a rider to cover for injuries you never quite know what response you'll get until they get out there on the bike but we're pretty confident with Tero.'
You may also want to watch:
Lynn are looking to bounce back after going agonisingly close to league title glory against Poole in last week's Grand Final.
'It's taken a few days to recover from the disappointment,' said Allitt. 'It was hard to take on a personal basis.
- 1 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 2 Covid rips through care homes again with deaths almost doubling in a week
- 3 'I am heartbroken' - Woman's two cats killed by 'reckless' drivers
- 4 'Isolate from your household' plea as Covid soars in Norwich
- 5 A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 6 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 7 Concern elderly people 'being ignored' as town has no vaccination centre
- 8 Man seriously injured after Norfolk crash
- 9 Norfolk yet to reach peak in latest wave of coronavirus deaths
- 10 'They don't care': Retired couple slam council over 'dangerous' tree
'But this is a fresh opportunity and I'm sure there will be two great nights in prospect for the fans.'
Meanwhile the Rebels have booked Charles Wright for this evening's clash as well as Paul Starke for the second leg to replace Bradley Wilson-Dean and Aaron Summers.
Somerset will also be boosted by Chris Harris, part of the Poole Pirates side that broke Stars' hearts last week, as rider replacement in the absence of Jack Holder.
Rebels boss Garry May said: 'Obviously you would have liked to have your own declared side in action for you every match but sadly, due to injuries and whatnot speedway doesn't always work like that.
'But with Starkey and Wrighty back in Rebels clothing again and Bomber too, who I came very close to signing this season, I feel we have the next best.'
Somerset: Jason Doyle (Capt), Rider Replacement for Aaron Summers, Charles Wright (Guest), Richard Lawson, Chris Harris (Guest), Jake Allen, Nico Covatti - TM Garry May
King's Lynn: Robert Lambert (Capt), Erik Riss, Ty Proctor, Thomas Jorgensen, Niels-Kristian Iversen, Tero Aarnio (Guest), Simon Lambert - TM Dale Allitt