King’s Lynn Stars fury as Swindon draw becomes defeat following Speedway Control Bureau decision
King's Lynn Stars chiefs have hit out at the Speedway Control Bureau for deciding to change their draw at Swindon to a defeat.
The SCB ruled that guest Cory Gathercole - who they say was brought in to replace David Howe and Ulrich Ostergaard - was ineligible to ride for Lynn on the night and deducted the two points he scored. The amendment means Lynn's 45-45 draw on July 19 has been changed to a 45-43 defeat, much to the disgust of the Stars hierarchy.
A club statement said: 'King's Lynn speedway are saddened and confused to learn that the SCB have decided to alter the result of their away meeting at Swindon.
'It is clear that even without the new 1-7 being in effect because of the previous night's rain off, we were still entitled to use a guest for the previously declared Joe Screen/David Howe partnership as neither rider was available for this fixture.
'What is even more surprising is that this result has been altered nearly three weeks after the meeting took place, at which point neither the Swindon promotion or official SCB referee had any issues with King's Lynn using Cory Gathercole as a guest.
You may also want to watch:
'We believe that decisions like this are clearly not in the best interest of the sport, and we can only worry about the future of speedway in Great Britain as a result.'
The SCB ruled that Lynn were only entitled to use a Premier League rider whose match average was 6.00 or less. Gathercole's average was 6.50.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Police called to troublespot Norwich hotel 324 times in two years
- 3 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 4 The best restaurant in Norfolk for a romantic date revealed
- 5 New 20mph speed cameras to tackle NDR rat-runners
- 6 Police search undergrowth as man arrested for murder of missing woman
- 7 Norfolk Day 2021: Your must-have guide to all events
- 8 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 9 Former City skipper a frontrunner for Swansea job
- 10 Man in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
As a punishment for using the Somerset Rebels rider, the Stars two-point haul for an away draw was reduced to just one - the total gained for an away defeat by six points or less. Swindon gained an extra point as a result of their 'home win'.