King’s Lynn Stars’ Australian Rory Schlein announces international retirement
- Credit: IAN BURT
Australian Rory Schlein this morning shocked the speedway world by announcing his retirement from international action with immediate effect.
The King's Lynn Stars heat leader was expected to feature in the Aussie's squad for this summer's World Cup but has decided to quit over reported commitment issues.
The rider, in a statement on his own website, said: 'I have decided that I will no longer race for Australia in any forms of the sport. I have had some great times racing for my country with Chris (Holder), Darcy (Ward) and also Troy (Batchelor).
'The World Cup was always a fun occasion, especially racing with those guys, and I wish them the best of luck this year. Despite announcing my international retirement, I will continue to work hard for all my league clubs and aim to achieve as much as I can throughout the rest of my career.'
The 28-year-old had been part of his country's set up for more than seven years. During that time he helped Australia bag a World Cup bronze medal in 2007.
You may also want to watch:
World champion Chris Holder, set to captain the Wallabies for the first time this year, and former Stars ace Darcy Ward headline the squad, managed by ex national-team rider Mark Lemon. Aussie champion Troy Batchelor, Davey Watt, Cameron Woodward and Jason Doyle feature while Josh Grajczonek – who recently guested for Lynn – Aaron Summers and ex-Stars racer Dakota North have also been named.
- 1 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 2 'Never seen anything like it' - Norfolk Christmas shopping frenzy has begun
- 3 Man dies after medical emergency on beach
- 4 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash
- 5 'Landmark' former Tuttles store could be set for new lease of life
- 6 How Norfolk are you? Take this quiz to find out
- 7 Norfolk roadworks to be aware of this week
- 8 Gilmour advised to quit City for Rangers loan return
- 9 Top five Norfolk campsites according to Tripadvisor
- 10 Woman who died in A47 collision named