King’s Lynn Stars 50 Leicester Lions 40: Robert Lambert stars as Lynn finally end long wait for victory
- Credit: Ian Burt
Josh Auty reckons King's Lynn's push for the play-offs is back on after helping to inspire a 50-40 fightback victory over Leicester.
The Stars overcame a six-point deficit against the SGB Premiership's bottom club to end a six-meeting wait for a win.
Captain Robert Lambert led the way with a 15-point maximum from number one but relative-newcomer Auty also played a crucial part.
With the hosts still two points down after the heat-10 interval, the Scunthorpe favourite passed Lions guest Josh Grajczonek to take the chequered flag and then won again, jumping from first to third and back to the front again as a reserve replacement in heat 12.
Lambert and Tomas H Jonasson gave the Stars a six-point cushion of their own with a 5-1 in heat 13 and added gloss to the score with a repeat in a final race that quashed Leicester's hopes of a consolation point.
You may also want to watch:
'The main thing was the team winning and for me to play a part was really pleasing,' said Auty.
'Hopefully, these two wins can be the springboard for me and the team to push on now. This was a massive victory, a loss would have pretty much ended our hopes of the top four.
- 1 Builder took pink pill and ran naked around hotel
- 2 Fire tears through historic Thorpe pub
- 3 Four national high street names to move into former M&S store
- 4 Mass coronavirus vaccination centre opens in Norwich today
- 5 Stunning images capture Cromer in the snow
- 6 Store open despite positive Covid test at town centre Sainsbury's
- 7 Vaccines roll-out to move on to over 70s
- 8 Delays as 23m-long caravan travels through Norfolk
- 9 Norfolk to get rapid Covid test sites - to find people without symptoms
- 10 Vandals leave £80,000 trail of destruction in car park
'We still have a slight chance and while that is there, it is something to go out and fight for. It was great for the supporters too, hopefully they went home happy and we can all look to kick on from here.'
The much-needed confidence boost arrives at just the right time with a trip to form-team Swindon coming up on Monday (7.30), a clash that will be televised live on BT Sport.
King's Lynn 50: Robert Lambert 15, Tomas H Jonasson 11+3, Josh Auty 8+1, Michael Palm-Toft 7, Thomas Jorgensen 6+2, Kai Huckenbeck 3, Simon Lambert 0.
Leicester 40: Cameron Heeps 10+2, Danny King 8, Erik Riss 7+2, Josh Grajczonek 7, Josh Bates 4+1, Kyle Newman 4+1, Pawel Przedpelski R/R.