King’s Lynn Stars beaten 51-39 at home by leaders Swindon
- Credit: Archant
King's Lynn went down 51-39 in their penultimate meeting of the season against table-topping Swindon at the Adrian Flux Arena.
The Poultec Stars matched the powerhouse visitors for a large part of the meeting but Swindon, inspired by former world champion Jason Doyle, turned on the style in the latter stages.
The hosts made a great start as Robert Lambert and Ty Proctor secured a 4-2 in heat one. The scores stayed level until heat five when Adam Ellis partnered Jason Doyle to 5-1 which put the visitors two points up. It was a cracking ride from Ellis who passed both Stars' riders to join his teammate out in front.
Lambert and Proctor then hit back with another one/two in the next race to bring the scores level at 18-18.
In heat eight King's Lynn gated on a 5-1 only for Ellis to pass Kerr and Proctor to take the win in fine style which again kept the two sides locked together.
You may also want to watch:
There was another great race in 10. Lambert and Proctor were on a 4-2 for the Stars but Rasmus Jensen passed Lambert, only for the home rider to retake the lead and win comfortably. Tobiasz Musielak then overtook Proctor for third for a shared heat. Again, the scores were level at 30-30.
Then Swindon really turned the screw on the home side with back-to-back 4-2s in heats 11 and 12.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 3 Roadside restaurant aiming to re-open before Christmas
- 4 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
- 5 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 6 Seal charity to take 'unprecendented' action to protect Norfolk seal colony
- 7 Two people arrested during police operation in south Norfolk
- 8 Christmas Lights Walk with toasted marshmallows coming to garden
- 9 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 10 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
The real drama was in heat 13 which was an all-action race. Craig Cook led until turn three of the last lap when he and Troy Batchelor fell. Cook was disqualified as a result of the stoppage and the race was awarded a Swindon 5-1, with Batchelor taking the win ahead of Jason Doyle and Lambert, with the score now 35-43 to Swindon.
Yet more drama followed in heat 14 as tactical substitute Lambert and Erik Riss gated on a 5-1 only for the German to suffer an engine failure which gifted the Robins a shared heat and the win on the night. Doyle and Batchelor wrapped up all four away points for the visitors with a 5-1 in heat 15 which means they are still top of the Premiership.
King's Lynn 39: Robert Lambert 14, Erik Riss 8, Craig Cook 8, Lewis Kerr 5+2, Ty Proctor 4, Nicklas Porsing 0, Thomas Jorgensen R/R.
Swindon 51: Jason Doyle 13+1, Troy Batchelor 11+2, Tobiasz Musielak 7+1, Adam Ellis 6+1, Rasmus Jensen 6+1, Claus Vissing 5+1, Ellis Perks 3+2.