European joy for King’s Lynn Stars ace Lambert
- Credit: Archant
King's Lynn captain Robert Lambert raced to a sensational victory in the second round of the Speedway Euro Championship in Gustrow.
Lambert got the better of Danish rider Leon Madsen with a daring move on the first lap of the final at the German venue.
He had earlier scored 11 points from his qualifying races, with victory in his last ride taking him directly into the final with Madsen as Russian star Emil Sayfutdinov was beaten into third place by compatriot Andrej Kudriashov.
That meant Lambert beat Sayfutdinov on countback for second in the scorechart, and although Sayfutdinov joined him in the final via the race-off along with Mikkel Michelsen, it mean Lambert would gain a crucial outside gate pick.
And from the outside starting position he roared around Madsen off the second turn to race clear for a famous victory, with Michelsen in third place.
You may also want to watch:
Lambert said: 'It was an awesome night. To be able to get a win at Gustrow is a great feeling for me and I couldn't have asked for much better.
'It was hard for me to get around the outside, but there was a bit of space and I managed to get off the fence and get in front, so I'm really pleased with it.'
- 1 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 2 Groundworks start at site of new McDonald’s restaurant
- 3 'It's opened my eyes' - What is it really like having coronavirus?
- 4 Chef Galton Blackiston closes fish and chip shop during week
- 5 'Fighting every shift' - intensive care nurse's harrowing Covid video diary
- 6 Brothers take wedding bookings for 2022 after finishing barn project
- 7 Town left at standstill after level crossing failure
- 8 Driver's lucky escape as lorry ends up in ditch
- 9 'Beccles Mafia' reported to police for harassing elderly shoppers
- 10 Seven lockdown rules that could change
The result leaves Lambert just five points adrift of series leader Jarek Hampel at the halfway stage of the competition, with next round in Latvia on August 18.
Lambert is back in the UK on Monday to lead the Tru Plant Stars in their Premiership trip to Leicester.