Lambert turns on the style to be crowned British speedway champion
- Credit: Archant
King's Lynn skipper Robert Lambert rounded off a dream week by being crowned British champion.
Fresh from helping team Great Britain to a silver medal in the Speedway of Nations, the 20-year-old completed a stunning six-ride maximum to claim his first senior title.
Lambert made a super getaway to ease to victory in his opening ride but had to plug away on the inside line in heat seven, going from third to first before turning on the style thereafter.
He was then involved in an enthralling tussle with three-time champion Chris Harris before standing his ground to make it three wins out of three.
Just as he looked set to be beaten for the first time, Lambert produced a breathtaking move to round seven-time champion Scott Nicholls on the final two bends.
You may also want to watch:
That assured him of a direct route through to the Grand Final with one race to spare, but he still dug deep to wrap up a 15-point maximum. And despite coming under pressure from home favourite Dan Bewley, Lambert prevailed to also secure a wild card spot in the British Grand Prix at Cardiff's Principality Stadium on July 21.
Colleague Lewis Kerr ended with five points to show for his efforts.
- 1 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 2 Pretty thatched cafe business on Broads for sale for £75,000
- 3 Anger as woodland used as 'playground and dustbin'
- 4 Giant Victorian underground reservoir marks supplying city for 150 years
- 5 Report into woman's murder by jealous ex: 'Employers must do more'
- 6 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 7 Homes plan to be revealed for former infant school
- 8 First look at five new homes released for sale at popular site in Taverham
- 9 Former village pub for sale as home
- 10 Norwich City star tipped to reject move to Tottenham
Scores: Robert Lambert 15, Craig Cook 11, Dan Bewley 10, Jason Garrity 10, Scott Nicholls 10, Kyle Howarth 10, Rory Schlein 9, Danny King 8, Chris Harris 7, Josh Auty 7, Richard Lawson 6, Lewis Kerr 5, Adam Ellis 3, Steve Worrall 3, Richie Worrall 3, Ashley Morris 3. Semi-final: Bewley, Garrity, Nicholls, Howarth. Final: Lambert, Bewley, Cook, Garrity.