King’s Lynn rider Matthew Senter takes victory at East District time trial
- Credit: Archant
King's Lynn time trialist Matthew Senter made good use of his detailed knowledge of the Tottenhill course to win the East District CA 10 mile Championship in 20:04.
He beat second-placed Lloyd Chapman by 12 seconds and Harley Matthews was 33 seconds down.
Senter had targeted the Championship and came good on the day, breaking the course record in windy conditions that were far from ideal. His experience comes from riding the Tottenhill-Bexwell-Stradsett-Tottenhill horseshoe in King's Lynn CC evening club events.
Competitors faced a strong head wind over the first four miles towards Downham Market, before turning east and then north on roads which were much more sheltered. Lloyd Chapman, second in 20:16, has his eyes on the UK Road Championship on the Isle of Man in ten days' time.
The women's result was an eye-opener – the fastest time of 23:25 coming from Rebecca Johnson, an Ipswich road racing specialist who was riding her first open time trial – just six weeks after breaking her elbow in a pile-up. During that time training had been entirely on an indoor turbo trainer. She wore a borrowed aero-helmet and was on a bike supplied by her team Aprire/HSS. Because that team is based outside the East District, the EDCA Championship will go to Verity Smith (Stowmarket & District CC) who was just 11 seconds slower in 23:36.
You may also want to watch:
Lloyd Chapman made short work of the EDCA Sporting Course Championship – his 52:46 knocking 1:19 off Jason Bouttell's course record for the Scoulton- Great Ellingham-Hingham country road circuit. David McGaw was second in 54:15 while newcomer Ben Stancombe (King's Lynn CC) made his mark with 56:07 for third place.
There were age-group wins in the Eastern Counties CA 50 near Newmarket for Thetford rider Dave Green (age 50-54, 1:47:49) and David Procter (55-59) from King's Lynn who finished in 1:51:14.
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 3 Hospital confirms two patients have died from Covid
- 4 Chicken restaurant closes 'due to unforeseen circumstances'
- 5 'Like an invasion' - locals speak out over five-day festival
- 6 More than 70 speeding drivers snared in police day of action
- 7 New beauty salon and massage rooms open at country club
- 8 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 9 What are the top 10 new shops opening in Norwich?
- 10 'Cold and desolate' - Anne Robinson's Countdown jibe at Norfolk
Gary Freeman (Fast Test) took a lone win at Lotus (June 6) winning by six seconds from Ben Howell (Strada Sport) with Tommy Power (Strada) taking the bunch sprint.
Norwich rider Jimmy Piper was second amongst the 40-49ers in the national MTB series in Dalby Forest.