King’s Lynn forced to abandon double header plan
King's Lynn Town have shelved plans to play a UCL and Norfolk Senior Cup double header on Tuesday night - weather permitting.
The Linnets released a statement on Saturday confirming the FA had requested Town cancel their scheduled UCL home game against Deeping to travel to Yarmouth for a re-arranged Senior Cup tie.
Town had initially planned to field two sides after the original weekend trip to Yarmouth was postponed due to the cold snap. Lynn's next scheduled home game at The Walks will now be Irchester United's UCL League Cup visit on December 11 – a full month since the club's last home match against Gorleston in the FA Vase.
The club statement read: 'Due to the FA, King's Lynn Town have been forced to cancel Tuesday's home game and play away at Great Yarmouth. This means our next home game is Saturday December 11 against Irchester United in UCL League Cup.'
Prior to the weekend, Linnets' joint boss Kevin Boon admitted the club was prepared to fulfil two fixtures on the same night.
'We are in a difficult situation but we have to look after the interests of our club,' he said. 'We have a lot of respect for the Norfolk FA and the Norfolk Senior Cup and we will look to pick two teams that can do a job in both games.
'There is nothing in the rules or regulations of that competition regarding what strength of side we put out. At the end of the day we have to do what is best for our club.'
- 1 'God's waiting room' - Norfolk town is country's pensioner hotspot
- 2 'It's just not viable anymore' - Pub near Great Yarmouth closes
- 3 Lloyds to close bank in Norwich suburb
- 4 'He could've gone all the way' - Mum's tribute to aspiring boxer, 19
- 5 Norfolk worst area in UK for uninsured and untaxed drivers
- 6 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 7 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
- 8 Norfolk holiday cottage business sold to a leading lettings agency
- 9 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot
- 10 Green light for park and ride, drive throughs and offices near Norwich