King’s Lynn defender Bexfield focussed on Deeping test

King's Lynn's former Norwich City defender Pat Bexfield insists the Linnets must not treat Deeping lightly in tonight's UCL Premier Division encounter at The Walks. (7.45pm)

Bexfield is urging Town to focus on the task in hand ahead of this weekend's first part of a league and cup double header against rivals St Neots.

'We've only lost two games and one of those was to Deeping,' said Bexfield. 'That was a hard one to take because we had a goal disallowed that was about five yards over the line, but we are focussed on this game. We won't take them lightly. We are really strong at home and we want to keep that run going because we have a massive two games against St Neots, but no-one is thinking beyond the Deeping game.

'I live in Cambridge so St Neots is only 15 minutes from my house. I've seen them a few times and I honestly believe we can go and get something in the league game and then crack on for the FA Vase the following week. We are confident.'

Bexfield has been an unsung hero in Town's backline since his close season arrival. The 22-year-old earned a professional contract at Carrow Road after graduating through the academy ranks, but was released by ex-City chief Glenn Roeder back in 2008.

'I'm really enjoying my football and I think when you do that it shows in your performance,' he said. 'It's a great bunch of lads and everyone has made me feel so welcome since I first came. The facilities are second to none, better than most Conference grounds, and obviously I want to try and get back up the leagues and ideally that is with King's Lynn. When I came out of the pro game at Norwich City I got the opportunity to go and play at Needham Market and that was my first real taste of proper men's football. Then Cambridge City gave me a chance and they were on my doorstep but when I got the call from Setch (Gary Setchell) to come and have a look at the set up here my mind was made up.'

Bexfield has made 29 appearances so far despite a mid-season health scare when he was hospitalised after fainting at home.

Most Read

'There's no problems now,' he said. 'I was just having a kick about and fainted and couldn't remember anything. We went in to hospital and they kept me in as a precaution. I had loads of tests which showed up nothing and I actually went back only two or three weeks ago and the doctors said the latest tests were fine so just to carry on with my life, which was music to my ears.'