King’s Lynn cruise past Wroxham to reach last four

WROXHAM 0, KING'S LYNN 2: King's Lynn are through to the last four of the Norfolk Senior Cup after seeing off Wroxham with ease at Trafford Park.

The Linnets will face Thetford in the semi-finals of the competition after goals from Patrick Bexfield and Robbie Harris handed them a deserved victory against the Yachtsmen.

The crucial breakthrough came just before half-time after a niggly first period thanks to Bexfield's impressive strike and Harris put the tie beyond doubt with a close-range finish.

Wroxham's night was summed up late on when Andrew Heald was given his marching orders for two bookable offences and Lynn saw out the tie with relative ease.

Wroxham looked to make home advantage count in the early stages and they carved out the first opportunity of any note in the seventh minute.

You may also want to watch:

Lynn were playing an extremely high defensive line but they were caught out when Damian Hilton played in his strike partner Ben Thompson who was suddenly bearing down on goal with just the keeper to beat.

But Thompson may have had too much time to pick his spot and his scuffed left-footed effort rolled agonisingly wide for the home side.

Most Read

Unfortunately, football became of secondary importance for a long spell in the first half with several players going in over the top of the ball.

Wroxham's Heald and Bexfield, for the visitors, were both booked for dangerous challenges and both could have been sent for an early bath but slowly a football match started to break out.

Lynn started to get the ball down and play some nice football, with Jack Defty acting as a fulcrum to most of their attacks.

Just before the break the Linnets broke the deadlock thanks to a fine strike from Bexfield. Harris looked to wriggle free inside the penalty area before being scythed down by Josh Carus and, while the visitors appealed for a penalty, Bexfield swept home the ball from the corner of the penalty area.

With Lynn looking to guard against injuries due to their FA Vase clash this weekend, Defty was withdrawn at the break and Nelson Moreira came on but the Linnets missed their skipper's physical presence.

However, Wroxham found it difficult to take the initiative although Danny Self came close with a free-kick from 25 yards out that had Alex Street worried.

Lynn managed to put the tie to bed in the 70th minute when Jamie Thurlbourne's corner wasn't dealt with and Harris reacted first to take a touch and fire into the top corner from close range.

Wroxham's misery was complete late on when Heald was sent off for a second yellow card for another lunging challenge, this time on Martin McNeil.

Moreira should have made it 3-0 after latching on to Carus' poor back pass but after taking it round the keeper, Carus atoned for his mistake by clearing off the line.

Self almost gained a consolation for the Yachtsmen with a wonderful 30-yard drive but it cannoned off the crossbar.

Wroxham: Pauling, Self, Howes, Challen, Carus, Heald, Durrant, Gilmore (Lemmon 11), Hilton, Thompson (Langois 51), Jones (Wines 61).

King's Lynn: Street, Bexfield, McNeil, Buhlemann, Alsop, White, L Thurlbourne (Spriggs 21), Doherty, J Thurlbourne, Harris, Defty (Moreira 46).

Referee: M J Kelly

• Kirkley & Pakefield beat Great Yarmouth 2-1 in last night's Ridgeons League Cup second round tie at The Wellesley.

Kyle Baker put the visitors ahead but Jake Reed equalised for the Bloaters four minutes later. Baker notched his second for Kirkley & Pakefield to set up a third round tie away to Wisbech on Tuesday.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter