King’s Lynn considering cutting reserve side
UCL Premier Division title favourites King's Lynn could be forced to disband the club's reserve team for the 2011/12 season due to a lack of sponsorship.
Chairman Buster Chapman and director of football Kevin Boon will hold further talks this week to find a financial solution after failing to attract fresh sponsorship for the youthful reserve set-up, who were again set to compete in the UCL reserve league.
The first team budget has been increased for the FA Vase semi-finalists ahead of the new campaign, but chairman Chapman revealed the club's hierarchy had subsidised reserves' running costs last season to the tune of �15,000.
'From day one I have said that the club would avoid getting itself into debt in order to avoid any risk of it being forced to close its doors as it did before,' he said. 'Last year the support for the reserve team was extremely poor and the club had to subsidise the running costs by around �15,000.
'Over the close season we decided to increase the first team budget but that budget has now been exceeded, this in turn means there is a squeeze on everything else in order to keep the club out of the red.
'The first team managers were made aware of the situation but they decided that it if we cannot secure extra financial support for the reserves then it would be best to bring a few of the reserves into the team and disengage the rest for this coming season. Obviously decisions like this are tough to make so I do hope that everyone can work hard in the next five days to gain the extra financial support needed.'
• Lynn's senior squad wrapped up their pre-season with a 1-1 draw at Southern Premier Bedford on Saturday. Robbie Harris was on the mark for the Linnets who had defender Danny Buhlemann sent off. Lynn begin their UCL campaign against Irchester at The Walks this weekend.