King’s Lynn commit to title tilt
King's Lynn will have the financial backing to launch an all out push for promotion next season up the non league ladder.
Boon and fellow manager Gary Setchell held positive talks with the club's hierarchy earlier this week to plot the next stage of the Linnets' revival.
Norfolk's best-supported non league club reached the semi-finals of the FA Vase and the final of the county cup in their inaugural season but were pipped to the UCL Premier Division title by St Neots after the duo both surpassed the 100-point barrier.
Boon revealed Lynn's management team now have the green light to construct a squad capable of inheriting St Neots' crown following discussions with the Chapman family.
'We met for around 90 minutes, myself, Setch, Buster and Jonathan. We walked away very happy men,' said Boon. 'We know what we have to work with. We know where the line is and we mustn't cross it. We shook hands with Buster and agreed to have a look again at the situation around Christmas and see where we are. They upped the budget during the last couple of months of the previous season and what we have now is quite capable of winning the league.
You may also want to watch:
'We already have the basis of a good side because we finished on 103 points. We just ran out of steam, but we did try to bring in players. They either wanted silly money or were loyal to their current clubs at the time. Maybe one or two of those will come in during this summer. Now we have our budget we need to sit down and work out how best we can spend it. I know what the budget has been set at and I don't think anyone will get near it in the UCL, albeit it isn't on the same level as St Neots had last season.'
Boon warns Town will not break the bank to attract higher level targets.
- 1 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 2 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 3 'You want to be un-vaccinated? Go to Lowestoft' - rock legend's jab at town
- 4 Revealed: The cheapest towns in Norfolk to buy a home
- 5 How Norfolk are you? Take this quiz to find out
- 6 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 7 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 8 Nicole Kidman donates £10k to Norfolk dad's charity walk
- 9 'Embarrassing' - City fans ask questions of Farke after Chelsea thrashing
- 10 Delays on A47 due to collapsed manhole cover
'There is a wage structure in place here now. It isn't about blowing money, it's about players wanting to be here,' he said. 'None of the current squad have told us they want to move on so it's going to be difficult for me and Setch. Maybe four or five have to leave but we'll go the same way in terms of a smallish squad and again looking to utilise the reserves.
'This summer as opposed to last we can now say, 'look at this club.' We got to a 100 plus points in the league, reached the FA Vase semi-finals and averaged around 900 home crowds. For any ambitious footballer this is the place to be.
'We know the lads we want and we will be working to do that when we are able to bring them in after June 1. We need to strengthen down the spine of the side and that means three or four new players. We could do with a bit of experience, but there are still young lads in their 20s playing at level four we would love to bring in.'
Boon admitted Town's summer makeover is complicated by the pending Norfolk FA hearing into allegations of racism against midfield duo Luke Thurlbourne and Kieran Doherty arising from the championship shoot out against St Neots. Lynn also face a separate FA hearing relating to incidents of crowd disorder during their Vase semi-final, second leg aggregate defeat to Coalville.
'We are positive on both counts,' said Boon. 'It is hard to take. Inevitably people outside the club will view these type of things and perceive us in a negative light. I honestly believe because of who we are there is an element of envy from certain clubs and individuals, who should know better. Those players are innocent until otherwise proved. Three of their players made these allegations to St Neots officials. They are serious allegations. We'll present our evidence and let the Norfolk FA make their decision, but we've supported them with club statements and letters.
'We've pleaded not guilty to all three charges relating to the Coalville game after taking advice from people directly involved in those type of disciplinary processes. We have put a comprehensive dossier together which addresses each charge with strong video evidence to support our statements.'
• In the second part of Boon's interview tomorrow, Town's joint boss reflects on an eventful first year in the life of his new club.