King’s Lynn bag priceless victory
King's Lynn Town 1 Holbeach Utd 0: King's Lynn boss Gary Setchell believes his side felt the benefit of two extra training sessions over the Christmas period as the Linnets battled to a priceless victory over fellow title challengers Holbeach.
Stuart Wall grabbed the only goal in front of a bumper Boxing Day crowd of more than 1,000 at The Walks.
Setchell said: 'The training we put on over Christmas paid dividends today, we looked stronger near to the end and that gave us a vital three points. People crave effort, endeavour and hard work and they got all that.'
Setchell gave both youngster Ryan Fryatt and fans' favourite Robbie Harris a chance to impress during the top of the table clash. The hosts started well and nearly went in front in the seventh minute, Harris nodding inches wide from a superb Jamie Thurlbourne centre.
The away bench was up in arms midway through the first half, when they felt they should have been awarded a penalty rather than a corner after a mix up in the Lynn penalty area. Harris' deft flick just evaded Leigh Overton's crossbar, but that was as far as the entertainment went in a drab first half.
You may also want to watch:
The Linnets started the second half brightly and went close within a minute of the restart, Fryatt meeting a Thurlbourne cross with a firm header that flew just over the bar.
The visitors looked dangerous on the break and shortly after Andrew Tidswell had an effort ruled out for offside, Daniel Flack fizzed one just past the post. The United keeper had to be at his best to deny another Thurlbourne trademark free-kick.
- 1 Boss puts Queen Anne family home up for sale for £1.325m
- 2 Town's country park remains closed after woman's body discovered
- 3 Woman found dead in country park is named
- 4 'You get relegated playing the Norwich way' - Old boy Bruce on Magpies' sorry plight
- 5 Prince Philip memorial erected in town park just a day after his death
- 6 Childhood friends unite to launch barbershop together
- 7 Investigations continuing after drugs seized during police raid
- 8 New Turkish takeaway which cooks over coals shows how kebabs should be done
- 9 EFL announce revised schedule to avoid Prince Philip funeral clash
- 10 Giant Wheel soon to be 'operational' on popular seafront
Setchell introduced Beaumont shortly after the hour and the former Dereham man nearly made an instant impact, his drive just finding the side netting. But it was a stay of execution for the visitors as Lynn took the lead two minutes later through a bullet header from Stuart Wall.
There was a late rally from Holbeach but the Linnets held on.
• Lynn: Street, Fryatt, Yong, Buhlemann, Wall, Hughes (C), Spriggs, L Thurlbourne (White), Harrold, Harris (Beaumont), J Thurlbourne (Coe). Unused Subs: Hails, Moreira. Goal: Wall (70). Booking: Beaumont.
• United: Overton, Allen, Jackson, Kennedy, B. Brown (Nick Brown), J Stevens (C), Flack, Goodhand, Tidswell, A Stevens (Brooks), Griffiths (Keeble). Unused Subs: Warfield, Newton. Bookings: Kennedy, Brown.
• Attendance: 1,040; MOM: Dan Buhlemann.