King’s Lynn bag priceless victory
King's Lynn Town 1 Holbeach Utd 0: King's Lynn boss Gary Setchell believes his side felt the benefit of two extra training sessions over the Christmas period as the Linnets battled to a priceless victory over fellow title challengers Holbeach.
Stuart Wall grabbed the only goal in front of a bumper Boxing Day crowd of more than 1,000 at The Walks.
Setchell said: 'The training we put on over Christmas paid dividends today, we looked stronger near to the end and that gave us a vital three points. People crave effort, endeavour and hard work and they got all that.'
Setchell gave both youngster Ryan Fryatt and fans' favourite Robbie Harris a chance to impress during the top of the table clash. The hosts started well and nearly went in front in the seventh minute, Harris nodding inches wide from a superb Jamie Thurlbourne centre.
The away bench was up in arms midway through the first half, when they felt they should have been awarded a penalty rather than a corner after a mix up in the Lynn penalty area. Harris' deft flick just evaded Leigh Overton's crossbar, but that was as far as the entertainment went in a drab first half.
The Linnets started the second half brightly and went close within a minute of the restart, Fryatt meeting a Thurlbourne cross with a firm header that flew just over the bar.
The visitors looked dangerous on the break and shortly after Andrew Tidswell had an effort ruled out for offside, Daniel Flack fizzed one just past the post. The United keeper had to be at his best to deny another Thurlbourne trademark free-kick.
- 1 Snow starts to fall in Norfolk - but will it last?
- 2 Hopes rekindled for new £20m railway station
- 3 'Please come home': Family's plea to help find missing Norwich girl
- 4 John Lewis boss bids farewell to Norwich store after nearly three decades
- 5 'We're over the moon': Family overjoyed as missing Norwich girl returns home
- 6 Patient dies while waiting in ambulance for hospital bed
- 7 Fire fears over huge battery storage plants for wind farm
- 8 Flood alerts issued for parts of Norfolk due to stormy conditions
- 9 Obituary: Owner of huge collection of vintage tractors dies aged 75
- 10 Warning for drivers as Met Office issues ice warning across Norfolk
Setchell introduced Beaumont shortly after the hour and the former Dereham man nearly made an instant impact, his drive just finding the side netting. But it was a stay of execution for the visitors as Lynn took the lead two minutes later through a bullet header from Stuart Wall.
There was a late rally from Holbeach but the Linnets held on.
• Lynn: Street, Fryatt, Yong, Buhlemann, Wall, Hughes (C), Spriggs, L Thurlbourne (White), Harrold, Harris (Beaumont), J Thurlbourne (Coe). Unused Subs: Hails, Moreira. Goal: Wall (70). Booking: Beaumont.
• United: Overton, Allen, Jackson, Kennedy, B. Brown (Nick Brown), J Stevens (C), Flack, Goodhand, Tidswell, A Stevens (Brooks), Griffiths (Keeble). Unused Subs: Warfield, Newton. Bookings: Kennedy, Brown.
• Attendance: 1,040; MOM: Dan Buhlemann.