‘I think we need to get some realism about the place’ - Linnets boss Culverhouse
- Credit: Archant
Ian Culverhouse watched his team preserve their unbeaten home record with a late. late goal - and then warned against unrealistic ambitions.
Lynn's 2-2 draw against Gloucester City saw them knocked off top spot, but sitting third in the table behind heavyweights York and Chester shows how Culverhouse's side have upset the early-season formbook.
Adam Marriott's third-minute penalty was cancelled out by two goals of Lynn's own making - the first after a mix-up in defence, the second when Alex Street was beaten at his near post. But with time running out and Lynn's incessant pressure looking set to go unrewarded, up popped Marriott in time added on to tap home after good work by substitute Chris Henderson.
It took Lynn's unbeaten run to 10 games, and while they were not at their best, the post-match analysis brought a warning from the manager.
"I think we need to get some realism about the place, because we haven't got a right to beat anyone in this league," said Culverhouse.
You may also want to watch:
"We are going to play 42 games and in 42 games we will be underdogs. So we have no right to beat Gloucester - we have to earn the right in every single game, and fair play to Gloucester, they took their chances when they did and we didn't.
"What we are doing at the moment is unbelievable, it's unbelievable what they are doing. And the character they showed at the end - and they could have given up halfway through because it wasn't going right - but to actually get the goal in the end showed the immense character of this squad of players
- 1 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 2 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 3 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 4 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 5 New Lidl supermarket opens in Norwich
- 6 Hospital investigated over 'contentious' deaths goes bust owing £4m
- 7 Sneak peek inside first £2.7m luxury mansion for sale
- 8 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 9 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 10 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
"But I think a bit of realism needs to be kicked in here because what we are doing at the moment is far beyond anyone's dreams and we would all love it to continue, but the reality is it probably won't.
"But we will ride it as long as we can and this group of players will work their absolute socks off for this football club until we can't do it any more."
King's Lynn Town: Street, Jones, Fryatt, Smith, Fox (Barrows 82), Jarvis (Henderson 56), Clunan, Richards, Kelly (Carey 74), Marriott, Gash. Subs not used: Payne, Stewart.
Goals: Marriott 3pen, 90+4
Gloucester City: Jeacock, Thomas, Harper, Harrison, Avery, Knowles, Parker (Hainult 82), Hanks (Myrie-Williams 51), J Jackson (M Jackson 65) Russe, Kotwica. Subs: Johnstone, Smith.
Goals: Hanks 26, Parker 61