Kimberley Morrison digs deep to secure podium place at Ironman 70.3 Buenos Aires
- Credit: @TriathlonKim on Twitter
Norfolk's professional women's triathlon star Kimberley Morrison secured a podium place in Argentina at the weekend.
The 29-year-old Tri-Anglia member finished second at Ironman 70.3 Buenos Aires, just missing out on retaining her crown after a close battle with eventual winner Hayley Chura.
Morrison, from Bale, near Fakenham, finished the course in four hours, 18 minutes and 29 seconds yesterday – two minutes and 14 seconds faster than when she won the event last year.
'The race was going to plan. I led the chase pack of swimmers for the 1.9km lake swim behind American super swimmer Hayley Chura,' Morrison explained.
'On to the 90km bike and by 29km I took the lead and extended this lead to give a total time (around) nine minutes quicker than the next fastest female.
'The half marathon run went very well for me today and we have taken a handful of minutes off my run time from Ironman 70.3 Dubai in January. Six kilometres to go and I was running scared, I knew second position was hunting for the win.
You may also want to watch:
'When Hayley caught me with just two kilometres to go I was already pushing and dug very deep to stay with her. Every meter felt excruciating and I was giving all I could ... not enough for the win today but happy with my overall race and enjoying that Champagne podium!'
- 1 Norwich pub's shock after city council refuse outdoor seating bid
- 2 Woman left with 'serious back injuries' after pub fight
- 3 Couple sell 'amazing' converted water mill after two-year renovation
- 4 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 5 Delivery driver fined for 'flagrant' seafront stunt caught on CCTV
- 6 Hairdressers working 12-hour days to recoup Covid losses
- 7 Day of two halves - Footballer wins £80,000 and breaks leg in 24 hours
- 8 Caravan left dumped near beach for several years will be removed
- 9 Police investigate 'possible assault' after Dereham town centre fight
- 10 How landlord behind squalid flats was finally brought to justice