Key Christmas spell in the title race
The season to be jolly is once again here, and as well as the mince pies, Santa costumes and endless television adverts, it also means a jam-packed football schedule. To some people, football is just as much a part of Christmas as knitted jumpers and socks.
This festive period will be extremely important in deciding the outcome of the Ridgeons Premier Division title. On the face of things, current leaders of the pack Dereham Town look in a pretty comfortable position; currently seven points clear of nearest challengers Wroxham. Instead it is actually Leiston who have the title in their hands, with six games in hand on Matty Henman's side.
Dereham Town's title credentials will really be tested over this Christmas period with a trip to Leiston on the 18th and a home tie with second-placed Wroxham on the 27th. The Yachtsmen also have a difficult game on the 18th when they host high-flying Haverhill Rovers. So, by January the destination of the title might be a bit clearer.
In the Ridgeons League Division One, Gorleston will be trying to upset the applecart and do Cambridge University Press a favour when they travel to leaders Stowmarket Town on the 18th and host third-placed Diss Town on the 27th. Elsewhere, promotion outsiders Ipswich Wanderers and Whitton United do battle at Humber Doucy Lane, both teams hoping to close the gap on the leaders.
Another key fixture in Ridgeons Division One is the local derby at Clipbush Park between Fakenham Town and Swaffham Town. This fixture is doubly important as usual due to both teams being in the bottom four, with Fakenham Town only two places and two points better off than their rivals.
You may also want to watch:
Come January, when the decorations have come down and the final mince pie has crumbled away, the relegation and promotion contenders will become a lot clearer.
- 1 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 2 'Never seen anything like it' - Norfolk Christmas shopping frenzy has begun
- 3 'Landmark' former Tuttles store could be set for new lease of life
- 4 How Norfolk are you? Take this quiz to find out
- 5 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 6 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 7 Air ambulance and coastguard attend incident on Sheringham beachfront
- 8 Brown Derbies and Bender sausages, when Wimpy ruled fast food
- 9 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 10 Woman who died in A47 collision named