‘Just a real good guy’ - Norwich man recalls his 1996 encounter with now England boss Gareth Southgate
- Credit: Archant
England's charge towards the latter stages of the World Cup evokes special memories for one Norwich man.
Back in 1996 Rick Lennox, now live music manager for Epic Studios in Norwich, had been at Finsbury Park to see a Sex Pistols concert – the day after England had beaten Spain in Euro 96.
Mr Lennox, then an A&R man for support act Skunk Anansie, met Gareth Southgate and Stuart Pearce at the gig.
He said: 'Stuart Pearce is a huge Sex Pistols fan so he dragged Gareth Southgate to the gig.
'It was the following week he missed a penalty (against Germany) and all my mates were saying as he was running up he had a flash back to meeting a punk (Mr Lennox) and put him off.'
You may also want to watch:
Mr Lennox insisted Southgate was a great guy. He said: 'He was everything they say about him – so helpful, so polite, posing for photos, just a real good guy. That's what won me over with him.'
- 1 Brother and sister found dead in their home are named
- 2 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 3 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 4 'It did not deliver': Glamping site vows to improve after guests hit out
- 5 Man jailed for stealing underwear and sex toy from village house
- 6 Woman admits causing deaths of Norfolk couple in road crash
- 7 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder
- 8 'She loved planting flowers' - Tributes left at home of woman found dead
- 9 Norwich City transfer rumours: Talks held with United full-back
- 10 Why is it so difficult to buy bottled water?