Jones magic keeps Norwich City’s East Men’s Hockey League survival hopes alive

Nine-man Norwich City grabbed a survival lifeline in the Premier A Division as a late goal earned a 3-3 draw at Wapping on Saturday.

City fell 3-2 behind with 10 minutes remaining and lost their discipline, with two players sent to the sin bin. But Nick Jones conjured a sublime piece of skill to bag a last gasp equaliser to keep City within three points of Wapping and Bishop's Stortford.

Wapping had taken an early lead which was cancelled out when Chris Perry converted a drag flick from a short corner.

City then hit the post with another drag flick, before Wapping restored their lead.

The visitors won a penalty corner in the second half and Perry converted to level the scores before the dramatic conclusion.

Dereham's excellent form continued as they won 4-2 at Cambridge University.

The visitors went ahead following a swift counter-attack led by Mike Timm and finished off by Ric Timm.

Most Read

The students replied shortly afterwards with an equaliser, but Dereham went back in front in the second half as Timm netted his second.

The Timm brothers and Richard Stainthrope combined for Mike Timm to score the third and Ric Timm completed his hat-trick to put Dereham in charge.

The students converted a penalty corner, but Dereham held on to move up to sixth in the table.

The Division 6NE title is already decided after Norwich Dragons III secured top spot with three games still to play.

They made sure of the title by beating Norfolk Nomads 2-1, the goals coming from Andy Key and Mike Banham.

Wisbech won 4-2 at Harleston Magpies II in Premier B.

The visitors took the lead against the run of play when Gavin Johnstone finished from close range.

A second goal from Johnstone and a poacher's effort from Sam Markille gave Wisbech a 3-0 lead at the break.

Magpies pulled one back but Wisbech restored their three-goal cushion through Markille and although Magpies scored again, the visitors held firm to take the points.

In Division 2NE, Norwich City II slipped into the relegation zone following a 2-1 defeat at home to high-flying Sudbury.

The visitors scored a goal in each half before Mike Warlow pulled one back and although City applied late pressure, they could not muster an equaliser.

Norwich Dragons lost 4-1 at Bury, despite going 1-0 up through Rupert Snelling.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter