Jody Cundy hits out at the UCI for ‘embarrassing’ Paralympics’ admin error
- Credit: PA
Jody Cundy believes the UCI should be embarrassed for its part in cycling failing to make the initial Paralympic Games in 2020.
The sport's governing body incredibly missed the deadline to register its interest in being part of the Tokyo extravaganza in six years time. And Cundy – a legend in the world of disability sport after winning a string of medals in the pool and on his bike – is absolutely furious about the paperwork error. The 35-year-old said: 'Hopefully they're embarrassed this has happened.
'When you hand in your homework late it isn't great, but this is handing in your homework late on the biggest stage of all and it is pretty embarrassing for an international governing body. Hopefully it gives them a kick up the bum.'
A maximum of 23 sports will be included in Japan's schedule with 16 already getting the nod on Tuesday. The UCI will have to wait until early next year to see if it will be included in the programme.
'The UCI look after so many disciplines - road, track, mountain bike, BMX and Para-cycling and when you look at the website, Para-cycling is at the bottom of the list and sadly that is how it feels sometimes,' Cundy, who had his right foot amputated at the age of three, also told the BBC Sport website.
'Road cycling and women's cycling are on the way up but Para-cycling still seems to be stuck in the gutter.'
Wisbech-born Cundy, who now lives in Manchester, competed in three Paralympics as a swimmer, winning seven medals, including three golds. He switched to cyling in 2006 and won a couple of golds two years later at the Beijing Games and a bronze at London 2012.
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 WATCH: Moment hero doorman tackles knifeman during Norwich triple stabbing
- 3 Norfolk car dealership and MOT centre named among best in the country
- 4 'It was horrible' - Shock as woman robbed and assaulted in broad daylight
- 5 Man who died in Old Buckenham crash named
- 6 'My life has been plagued by fly-tipping for a year - I need it to stop'
- 7 'This affects everyone' - Erosion strikes Hemsby again
- 8 Passengers angry after train heading to Norwich delayed for hours
- 9 Arrests after woman held hostage in home containing drugs and samurai sword
- 10 Norwich independent school named one of best in East Anglia