Jessica-Jane Applegate left stunned after landing prestigious national swimming accolade
Jessica-Jane Applegate's sensational year has seen her honoured at the 2015 British Swimming Awards.
The 2012 Paralympic Champion from Norfolk was crowned Para-swimming athlete of the year at an event which also saw diver Tom Daley (overall athlete of the year) and Adam Peaty (swimming athlete of the year) pick up prestigious individual gongs.
The UEA City of Norwich starlet secured personal bests in all of her events at the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) world championships taking silver in the 200m.
She ended her competition on an even bigger high though by winning the 100m backstroke gold to add another success to her growing list of achievements in the pool.
The 19-year-old from Belton, near Great Yarmouth – who has Aspergers syndrome – said: 'I'm absolutely over the moon with that.
You may also want to watch:
'I was not expecting it at all especially because Ollie (Oliver Hynd) was in my category.
'My highlight of the year was my 100m backstroke race (at the world championships) as I wasn't meant to win that gold medal, I was meant to come fifth.'
- 1 Village care home confirms coronavirus outbreak
- 2 Town clerk sacked following months of controversy
- 3 'Sounded like my roof was coming off': RAF jet sonic boom heard over city
- 4 Extent of Norwich Prison Covid outbreak revealed
- 5 Couple sell pub with Nelson link after council stops dream project
- 6 New drive-thru McDonald's to create 65 jobs
- 7 Flood alerts across Norfolk ahead of expected rain
- 8 Tributes to 'Winkle' - the legendary landlord who broke the mould
- 9 Derelict pub on eyesore site could be turned into new Co-op store
- 10 Norwich sonic boom: RAF confirms jet 'inadvertently' caused bang over city